Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN - configure QoS between Spoke and Hub

Steev112
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two Hubs and 10 Spokes, configured DMVPN and run OSPF, the BW for Hub is 40MP and the BW for Spokes 4MP, I want to configure QoS for some Spokes to sure the BW not exceed 3MP? can anyone provide me the configuration on Hub and Spokes to achieve it?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tim Y
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Since all hub to spoke communication go through a single tunnel interface, you need to configure a way for your hub to dynamically choose the proper outbound QoS policy with shaping that matches the respective spoke's bandwidth. To do this you configure NHRP groups and use a nested QoS policy for shaping.

I don't know if you have a basic QoS policy in place yet on your hubs, but typically you will want to create one that would apply to all spokes in terms of queuing, and priority, and minimum bandwidth guarantees, etc.

There is a guide here you can use for that part if you need: http://www.internetworkingcareer.com/qos/configure-basic-qos-policy/

Once that's done, you need to configure the policy-maps with shaping and the NHRP groups. Assuming you have that a QoS policy named WAN_out, use the following configurations:

Hub

policy-map parent_3mb
 class class-default
  shape average 3000000
  service-policy WAN_out

!

interface tunnel 1111
 ip nhrp map group group_3mb service-policy output parent_3mb

Spoke

interface tunnel 1111
 ip nhrp group group_3mb

! This command tells the hub which policy map to use for this spoke

For spokes with different speeds, you would just create another policy map with the appropriate shaping and create the NHRP map in the tunnel, etc.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Tim

Please don't forget to rate useful posts and mark answers as correct.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Tim Y
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Since all hub to spoke communication go through a single tunnel interface, you need to configure a way for your hub to dynamically choose the proper outbound QoS policy with shaping that matches the respective spoke's bandwidth. To do this you configure NHRP groups and use a nested QoS policy for shaping.

I don't know if you have a basic QoS policy in place yet on your hubs, but typically you will want to create one that would apply to all spokes in terms of queuing, and priority, and minimum bandwidth guarantees, etc.

There is a guide here you can use for that part if you need: http://www.internetworkingcareer.com/qos/configure-basic-qos-policy/

Once that's done, you need to configure the policy-maps with shaping and the NHRP groups. Assuming you have that a QoS policy named WAN_out, use the following configurations:

Hub

policy-map parent_3mb
 class class-default
  shape average 3000000
  service-policy WAN_out

!

interface tunnel 1111

Spoke

interface tunnel 1111
 ip nhrp group group_3mb

! This command tells the hub which policy map to use for this spoke

For spokes with different speeds, you would just create another policy map with the appropriate shaping and create the NHRP map in the tunnel, etc.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Tim

Please don't forget to rate useful posts and mark answers as correct.

Hi

Thanks Joseph and Tim for the reply, but if I want to make shaping only on the spoke to not exceed than 4 MP, is there away to do it on the Spoke only or only the way do it on the Hub.

Thanks again.

Hi,

You don't really need to do anything on the spoke to ensure bandwidth doesn't exceed 4 Mbps if that is how much bandwidth your ISP is provisioning for you because they will shape it on their own...

It's more the hub to spoke direction that needs shaping, but if you want to just create a QoS policy with shaping for the spoke to hub directrion, then just do it the same way as described above except do it on the spoke.

In this case you would create the policy, and then apply it to the outside physical interface. And use qos pre-classify on the tunnel interface if you're doing anything other than shaping. Configure shaping for less than 4 Mbps to account for overhead.

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim,

I will just summarize it and correct me please:

1. Spoke to Hub:

Hub

policy-map parent_3mb
 class class-default
  shape average 3000000
  service-policy WAN_out

!

interface tunnel 1111

Spoke

interface tunnel 1111
 ip nhrp group group_3mb

Here on Spoke no need to create policy-map:

policy-map parent_3mb
 class class-default
  shape average 3000000
  service-policy WAN_out

Correct me?

2. Only make shaping on Spoke:

policy-map parent_3mb
 class class-default
  shape average 3000000
  service-policy WAN_out

interface tunnel 1111
 ip nhrp group group_3mb

Correct me?

Thanks

Correct, except on #2 if you want to apply that policy-map to shape outbound traffic from the spoke, you need to do it on the physical WAN interface and enable qos-preclassify on the tunnel.

int g0/0

service-policy output parent_3mb

!

int t1111

qos pre-classify

Regards,

Tim

Thanks Time for your help :)

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

". . . I want to configure QoS for some Spokes . . ."  Some?

Tim's post provides the information for managing bandwidth to individual spokes, but you also might consider the hub's physical interface too.  If the spokes' aggregate egress exceeds the hub's physical interface, it will congest the interface.  In your case, if you have a hub with 40 Mbps, and 10 spokes, each with 4 Mbps, if you limit each spoke to 4 Mbps or less, you'll avoid egress congestion.  But if you only manage some, you chance hub egress interface congestion.

BTW, on many Cisco routers, it's my belief shapers don't account for L2 overhead, so if you really want to manage for 4 Mbps, try shaping about 15% slower.

wafiaggoun
Level 1
Level 1

Bonjour

la CLI ne marche pas avec mon router Cisco IOS Software, 3700 Software (C3725-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(15)T7,  (GNS3)

ip nhrp map group

Bonjour,

votre routeur et le logiciel IOS sont trop vieux. Vous avez besoin de la version 15.4(1)T/3.11S pour cette commande.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/sec_conn_dmvpn/configuration/15-mt/sec-conn-dmvpn-15-mt-book/sec-conn-dmvpn-per-tunnel-qos.html

Je vous remercie, ça marche maintenant;

outre, est-ce que je fais QOS partout, dans le cas HUB & Spokes en DMVPN ?

wafiaggoun
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My architecture  is in DMVPN HUB to Spokes

the QOS (policy) applies in just HUB or in two HUB-spokes 

i want two traffic direction ascendent - descendent

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: