Views
Helpful
Replies

Flexconnect VS Local

brobinb
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

For deployment of twenty 3702 AP with one WLC 5508, in order to avoid the 5508 become the choke point, do you think using Flexconnect in staed of Local mode will help?

Thanks!  

4 Replies 4

Tim Y
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You would use FlexConnect mode and enable FlexConnect local switching on the WLAN if you want traffic to egress out the AP instead of from the controller.

Here is an example configuration which should help you do exactly that: http://www.internetworkingcareer.com/wireless/configure-wlc-ap-wireless/

Regards,

Tim

Thanks Tim for your reply.

I should have asked the question more clearly.

Understand that Flexconnect is design for remote locations that no need to have a WLC onsite, and use Local switching for wireless traffic to mitigate the slowness of the WAN link.

Let say 5508 WLC and AP's in same subnet/location, WLC has LAG of 4 ports connect to core switch, in this scenario, using Flexconnect and local switching, versus Local mode, which mode works better to avoid the WLC becoming choke point of the wireless network? Or no difference at all? 

Hi there,

In Local mode you can only do central switching. FlexConnect mode allows the AP to use either central or local switching on a WLAN basis, so you might as well put the AP in FlexConnect mode.

If you don't want the WLC to be a chokepoint then just use FlexConnect local switching. This is just a question of how much throughput you're going to have. If your throughput exceeds the amount of BW capacity in the LAG, then use local switching. If not, then it doesn't really matter.

It all depends how your traffic is going to be.

Regards,

Tim

For deployment of twenty 3702 AP with one WLC 5508, in order to avoid the 5508 become the choke point

5508 won't be a choke point :)

In my network I have close to 20k wireless clients, still not exceed 2-3Gbps total wireless traffic throughput.

Unless by design FlexConnect is required I would go with local mode AP deployment.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card