cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem uploading ios into 2960x switch using xmodem.

krishna murthy
Level 1
Level 1

I have my flash directory empty in my catalyst cisco 2960x series switch.There is no .bin file present there. I tried uploading the ios using Xmodem protocol but  an interrupt saying "NOT ENOUGH SPACE" pops out and on console i get.."cannot handle>1 setup packet in DMA mode Xmodem:: I/O error. I have formatted the flash directory and there is enough space in it. Looking forward for a solution. Thanks in advance..:-)

13 Replies 13

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post the complete output to the command "dir flash:".

Hi leolaohoo  ,

How to do that? I am using the command "copy xmodem: flash:File_name.bin"

Thank You.

Just enter the command "dir flash:" and then whatever output, post it.

Hi leolaohoo  

Following are the outputs which I am getting.

Did you notice the 2960X has a USB port?  Guess what that is for?

You can command the switch to boot the IOS from a USB thumb drive (as long as the USB thumb drive is supported).  You can also copy (from ROMmon) the IOS from a USB thumb drive to the flash of the appliance.

I am facing the same problem.

And leolaohoo  how do i do that... USB to flash in ROMMON mode??

how do i do that... USB to flash in ROMMON mode??

This will depend entirely on the make and size of the USB thumb drive being used.  Not all USB thumb drive (aka flash drive) is supported. 

In ROMmon, force the switch to boot the IOS found in the USB thumb drive using the command "boot usbflash0:IOS_filename.bin".  

Once the switch boots up correctly, use the "archive download-sw" command to unpack/extract the IOS file into the switch.  

Don't waste precious time by copying the IOS from the USB thumb drive into the switch in ROMmon mode.  

Please don't forget to rate our useful posts.  

Thanks for the reply!

You are correct. This never worked. tried "boot usbflash0:IOS_filename.bin" got read/write errors.

Tried tera term/hyperterminal to upload the ios via xmodem too. I/O error every time.

This never worked. tried "boot usbflash0:IOS_filename.bin" got read/write errors.

Post the complete output to the command "dir usbflash0:".

Hi,

Format your USB with FAT16 and give it a try...

regards,

-Moin- 

Use xmodem while connected through RJ45 console port. NOT USB CONSOLE PORT.

It worked for me.

USB won't work in ROMMON mode.

USB don't work in ROMMON mode. Use xmodem while connected through RJ45 console port.

JohnAbbas02632
Level 1
Level 1

If you are using USB console port while using xmodem, don't do it. It will not transfer anything. Use RJ45 console port for transfer using xmodem.

It worked for me.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: