Views
Helpful
Replies

Wifi - Roaming outage

Jose Pablo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm doing tests with a WLC 4404 and two APs 1142 to know how this controller manage the wifi user mobility but I see that when I change of AP my smartphone lost the Internet conection during several second.

The smartphone doesn't lost the wifi signal but I lost the Internet connectivity.

Note: The APs are installed arround 10-15 between them so it not a problem with the wifi coverage.

On the WLC logs I see a reauthentication proccess when I walk from one APs to the another one (on the moment that I have the outage)

I suppose this is normal beacuse the smartphone is reconnecting to another APs but I'm not sure. 

I'm looking information about that but I'm very frustate because I don't find nothing to attack the problem.

Can anybody show me the way to attack this issue? 

Thanks in advance,

11 Replies 11

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

If mobility group is configured correctly, roaming will not have any impact on user traffic (no outage)

I'll paste 2 links that can help you on checking how mobility had to be configured :

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/4400-series-wireless-lan-controllers/107188-mobility-groups-faq.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-0/configuration/guide/c70/c70mobil.html

After checking these documents let me know if to have further questions 

Thanks 

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this solved your issue 

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Do this remove all security and try it on an open network and see if it improves. Also what device is it ? BTW thats a very old controller...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi,

Supportlan,

Is it neccesary to configure the mobility?

I thought that options was neccesary when it's used more than one WLC.

George,

I would like to have another but at this moment it's no possible :-)

Anyway...I repeat the probe with anoter SSID with only one user connected to it (with & without security enabled) and... in this case it's work. I don't lost the connectivity anytime. Why is it possible?

The only differents that I found at this moment is....the user number connecter to the other SSID is greater. Do the user number affect to that?

Thanks,

Hi 

Mobility is for sure with multiple wlc and I thought you had more than 1, sorry. 

With only 1 wlc, impact are caused by number of users on 1 AP (how many users you have on 1 AP?)

It could be also when radio are misconfigured ( roaming value, RRM).

Did you leave default values?

Thanks

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi,

I have about 5 users per AP.

I didn't change nothing about the radio settings and the wlan has been created without change any option expcept the HREAP option.

I use the following option on the HREAP settings:

HREAP     
H-REAP Local Switching   Enabled
H-REAP Local Auth           Enabled
Learn Client IP Address     Enabled

I'm using the same setting on both wlan.

I don't understand why I can move me with one wlan and not with the other.

Hi,

Do you know if are there any restriction with the characters used on the PSK?

If I remove the character "&" in my key.... work!!!

I'm doing more probes to confirm that with more devices.

Regards,

Which version of wlc are you using?

Thanks
Francesco

It's the version 7.0.235.3

Very version. Have you tried to upgrade to the last recommended version?

Thanks
Francesco

Yes, it's a old version.

I would like to upgade but I don't have user to download it :-(

Anyway, I'll try to do it,

Do you heard something about this kind of issue before on this versions?

I'm going to do more test to confirm the fix.

It's been a while I'm not using this version but I had some bugs that were all addressed with version 7.6.

I can't remember is there were some issues with special characters within psk and/or flexconnect roaming issues. 

I would highly recommend to upgrade before troubleshooting and maybe calling TAC case if needed 

Thanks
Francesco
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card