Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast Over Cisco 3850 wireless solution

animesh.khare
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

we have Cisco 3850 in all branch offices acting as MC/MA along with wired clients  , we need to design the multicast for wired and wireless users , I don't have any issues for my wired clients but I have never done for wireless users , can someone pls help in  Multicast Over Cisco 3850 wireless solution design.

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Refer this services guide which talks about 3850 multicast.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/guide_c07-727066.pdf

Also refer applicable configuration guide based on the software code you are using

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Yes I have that guide , but I am looking for some more information maybe which talks about the design aspects and all..

Thanks ...

I do not think there is any public document available specific to 3850/3650 (IOS-XE) wireless multicast.

In general I would refer below design guide for wireless multicast

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-1/Enterprise-Mobility-8-1-Design-Guide/Enterprise_Mobility_8-1_Deployment_Guide/ch6_Mcst.html

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

I am having 3850s configured as MC and MAs on all my branch office , i am going to run multicast-multicast mode for which below commands i am going to use on all of my MCs and MAs

(config)# wireless multicast
(config)# ap capwap multicast 239.255.255.249

apart from these do i need to enable IP multicast routing and run pim sparse-mode on my Management Vlan..?

First of all you need to have a clear understanding regarding which multicast traffic flows you are about the implement within the infrastructure. Please find the answers to the questions below:

• Which addresses are being used?
  • Where are the source and receivers of the multicast traffic located?
  • Is the WAN involved?
  • Does the flow even support routing (TTL value of the packets) or is it purely layer 2 and do we need to bridge it?

Depending on the answers above we can determine which features need to be configured on the MC and MA's.

Please rate useful posts... :-)

the design is not too complex , we have basic 2 Tier design for our branches and 3 tier for our DC. In DC we have source and RP.

Source-->RP-->Dist-->Core-->CE-->WAN cloud-->CE-->dist/core-->MC/MA(3850)

so we have our Source on Wired network and Receivers on wired and wireless both.

MC/MA are acting as L2 for Data with default gateway to my Dist/Core. They have 2 Management IP one for Switch and other one for WLC.

239.10.10.0/24 i am using for multicast

hope it is clear now.

i want to use multicast multicast mode for my wireless.

my question is what all configuration i need on my MC/MA

thanks

You need to make sure that the same multicast source address is only being used once and that everybody within your network is aware of this. Are all of the components within the WAN also configured for the use of multicast?

On your core, distribution and MC/MA devices multicast routing and the RP address need to be globally configured. For all multicast source and destination IP enabled interfaces PIM needs to configured as well. Don't forget the interfaces which are being used for routing towards the WAN infrastructure. Because you want to use AP multicast-multicast mode PIM also needs to be enabled on the wireless-management VLAN interface.

For the MC/MA unites additionally "wireless multicast" and "ap capwap multicast x.x.x.x" needs to be configured.

Please rate useful posts... :-)

Tausif Gaddi
Level 1
Level 1
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card