cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Advertise downstream customer-owned /24 without BGP-Peering

aceadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all. First post, so I apologize if I don't lay things out clearly, or if this is the wrong forum.

We are a small/regional ISP. We have a customer who has a couple of /24s (not purchased through us), and they would like us to announce these /24s to our upstream providers. However, they do not want to BGP peer with us (cost-savings, configuration, etc...). We've received an LOA from them, giving us permission for this.

We are happy to do this, but the problem is the advertisement is getting blocked further upstream. The larger transit providers appear to be querying the radb for their prefix lists, which is a problem as the radb has the /24s under the customer AS. So, if we try to advertise the /24s with our AS, they are getting dropped by these larger providers.

We are curious as to what other ISPs are doing in situations like this? Do you ask the customer to SWIP the /24 over to the ISP AS? Does the ISP turn up a BGP instance with the customer AS in order to spoof it (seems non-kosher)? Or something else entirely?

We don't have the IP space available to give them a /24, and the customer does not want any type of BGP relationship.

Appreciate any response.

- Josh

5 Replies 5

Jason M.
Level 1
Level 1

So the LOA has been passed to your upstream providers as well?

(Wonder why they're afraid of setting up BGP....)

Hey Jason. Thanks for the response.

We've passed the LOA upstream, but I think they are not sure how to process it either. Our upstream is currently going through a bankruptcy/acquisition, so things are a big chaotic. We're redundant to them, but working on getting another provider in the meantime.

Would this be considered a normal process? Is this something that our upstream should be able to easily do for us? When we passed them the LOA, they indicated the advertisement was getting blocked further upstream due to transit providers querying ARIN and RADb, and it would continue to be blocked as the advertisement was originating from our AS and not the customer's. Should they have passed the LOA to their providers as well?

Haha, I guess we are just a little confused as to how this process normally works. 

I'm not sure why they didn't want to do BGP. They have hundreds of remote sites, and indicated they almost never do BGP at any of them. So, I'm guessing they just wanted to keep things the same. They say they've done this setup (without BGP) at nearly all their sites, so I'm guessing there has to be a simple way.

Thanks!

- Josh

Yes, they should pass the LOA along to their upstream providers as well. If you have written permission to advertise it then it should not be blocked. 

yannickrioux
Level 1
Level 1

the easiest way forward would be to run eBGP on the CPE devices provided by your isp. the client will not need to run bgp on their equipment

So would you run BGP using the client's AS number?

Thanks.