Views
Helpful
Replies

Cabling up a test rig.

Donchipotle100
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I am new to cisco, and have recently bought an AS2511-RJ console unit, and two 2950 switches and a 3550 switch. Also bought two 2621xm routers and a 2651xm.

I have cables up all the equipment with console cables and can console to each device.

I want to properly cable up between the devices. Can I use cat 5 to connect up the switches and routers or do I need to.connect the routers with serial cables and switches with copper or is there a simple process to cable them all together? Any help appreciated please.

thanks Chris

4 Replies 4

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Chris,

You can cable your routers and switches together any way you like - of course, because switches do not have serial interfaces, you can have them connected to your routers only through Ethernet ports using a Cat5 cable. As for the routers, you can connect them together either using their Ethernet ports directly (you will need a crossover cable for that), or through switches, or directly using serial intefaces.

It all depends on what topology you want to have and what technology you want to practice. I would personally suggest that you connect your devices redundantly, both through Ethernet and serial interfaces if possible. This way, you can practice any technology you want without recabling your topology - you will simply ignore those interconnections you do not want to use.

So you have 2x 2950, 1x 3550, 2x 2621XM, 1x 2651XM, correct? Can you please tell us what exact interface types and counts are installed in each of these devices?

Best regards,
Peter

Thanks for replying Peter. On my 2950's and 3550 I have 24 ethernet ports, and on each of the routers I have two built in ports. Fa0/0 & 0/1. My add on cards in each router are a wic 2T card in each of the two slots and I have an ISDN BRI S/T card in the 2651. I don't have any crossover cables although not a problem making some small ones.

Should I connect the switches together with crossovers and the switch to routers with crossovers

Also with the ISDN card in the 2651 I have a T1 DSU/CSU and another in a 2621 router

Hi Chris,

I apologize for getting back to you so late.

As for interconnecting devices:

• Ethernet switches should be connected together using crossover cables
  • Routers should be connected to switches using straight-through cables
  • Routers should be connected together using crossover cables if using Ethernet ports, and using a serial DCE+DTE cable if using Serial ports.

The BRI card will be unusable - you would need an ISDN PBX to be able to use the ISDN cards.

Best regards,
Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: