Helpful
Replies

IOS Upgrade on switch

marcio.tormente
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Folks!

I have a doubt, my customer have:

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560X-48T-S – Version 12.2(55)SE5.

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3750X-24T-S – Version 12.2(55)SE3

He want make upgrade to version 15, but I´m not sure if is possible, because in the IOS version 12 the feature suche as IP Service is other image and int the IOS version 15 all feature is by licence.

Anyone knows is is possible make this upgrade without problem?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The 3560X/3750X, unlike the earlier 3560/3750 series models, support feature licensing.  The images for the X series comes in IPBase and Universal.  The IPBase image only supports IPBase features, regardless of the active license.  The Universal image, supports the feature set of the license.

I.e. if the device has the IP Service license, and you load the correct 15x image that supports the feature set, you should be fine with your upgrade.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

3560X & 3750X can support IOS version 15.X. 

The question is stability.   Read the Release Notes.  Understand the implication.  Run the firmware on a switch/stack for 2 months and see if there are any funny things happening.

Hello Leo,

Thanks for your support.

I saw that the image is available do download, but I'm not sure about the licence, exemplo:

If the customer have version 12 IP Service, this is a full image and not like version 15 that therer everything on the image, if the person want IP Service he have to buy a licence.

In this case if the customer bought the IP Service image (12) and want to upgrade to version 15 I believe that he have to buy (again) the licence IP Service. 

Am I right?

Marcio,

License has nothing to do with the IOS upgrade.  You only pay for the license one time. After that every time you upgrade to a newer version the license stays the same.

HTH

Reza, 

I made a lot of upgrade, but never fron um type of licence for other.

The type of licence in the version 12 is for image, I have to buy the image based on the feature I want, if I buy IP Base and if I want to change to IP Service I have to change the image.

The version 15 I have to change only the licence, for this reason I have dought, How can I make sure if the customer have the version 12 IP Service, this will remain IP Service after upgrate to version 15?

Licensing of this two version is different.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The 3560X/3750X, unlike the earlier 3560/3750 series models, support feature licensing.  The images for the X series comes in IPBase and Universal.  The IPBase image only supports IPBase features, regardless of the active license.  The Universal image, supports the feature set of the license.

I.e. if the device has the IP Service license, and you load the correct 15x image that supports the feature set, you should be fine with your upgrade.

Reza's response is correct.  Feature set being used won't change just because the IOS changes.  

marcio.tormente
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks Joseph,

This information was very helful

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card