cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issues with OSPF/HSRP

utawakevou
Level 4
Level 4

I have got 2 Nexus with vPC, SVI, OSPF and HSRP configured. I notice that some hosts uses the standby HSRP as its default gateway hence it cant get out as I don't advertise the SVI's of the standby vlan interface on OSPF. There is only an interface that I advertise on the standby nexus 

Is there a way I can setup OSPF to use the active nexus as the primary and the standby as the secondary route for OSPF. I notice if I advertise the standby SVI's on OSPF it'll show up on other routers OSPF table as selected routes to the same subnet. 

9 Replies 9

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is common behavior with Nexus when you have VPC configured between the 2 switches. Both active and stand-by HSRP switch will forward traffic.

HTH

So do I have to configure  "ip router ospf 100 area 0.0.0.0" on each SVI's on the standby HSRP ? Or is there another way  of advertising OSPF from each nexus rather than configuring it on the SVI's. I got   8 SVI's configured on both Nexus. Or shall I create different areas now for each SVI's ?. Was using a HP L3 switch before doing this core routing role and I assign all SVI's only one area i.e the backbone area.

Anyway help will be really appreciated

You just need to assign all your 8 SVIs to one area.  And yes you need "ip router ospf 100 area 0.0.0.0"  on both active and stand-by HSRP for all 8 SVIs.

HTH

I notice when I do that I cannot  reach some of my VM's hosted on our ESXi hosts that are connected via both Nexus. And other routers in the backbone area seems to see a single subnet from both Nexus. I know I must be missing something I believe

Looking at your topology, you are missing a layer-3 link between the 2 Nexus switches.

Also, is there a reason your Portchannel ids are different between the 3750 and the 2 Nexus switches. (P2 on Nexus and p4 on the 3750)?

They should work fine but its easier if your ids are the same.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf

HTH

I think the port channel ID's doesn't matter ? The reason being I have 3 port channel also configured on the 3750 connecting to other equipment's. So I use the 4th port-channel for the inter-switch link between the 3750 and the two Nexus. Can you enlighten me on that L3 link between the 2 Nexus ? I've got OSPF and they can see each other via OSPF with state ad FULL/DROTHER

With my standby seeing the primary as FULL/DR 

Any helpers out there ?

utawakevou
Level 4
Level 4

By the way this is how my setup looks. Any help will be really appreciated

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card