cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Any issues to leave already decommissioned zoning and host wwpn

ciscomdsmagic
Level 1
Level 1

We have several hosts which has already been decommissioned and associated zonings are no longer needed as well. However, these information are still in the configuration.

They said there should be no impact to leave them there.

My question is, is there any negative impact without de-configuring them, if yes, what issues could it cause?

Thanks for your advises!

4 Replies 4

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No problem at all; I assume you are far away from any configuration limits of zones !

see http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/storage-networking/mds-9000-nx-os-san-os-software/products-installation-and-configuration-guides-list.html

and

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/sw/7_3/configuration/config_limits/b_mds_9000_configuration_limits_7_3.html

In show zoneset active vsan x commands, you will see idle zone members, eg. pwwn based, without a "*", indicating that there was no flogi.

From the operations point of view, it is however not so nice, and could be tricky ! is this now a problem or is it just a orphan entry ?

Thanks for the message, and also links. The limits would not be hit any time soon.

This is not a problem yet. Only I don't feel it is good to leave them there, if there is no chance we would ever use them again. However, the guy who is doing the work would not feel it is necessary to remove. I am trying to convince him by presenting any potential issues...

As I said, for operational reasons, it is best practise to remove it !

This is easily doable, and non disruptive !

agree, clean up.  Last thing you want to be troubleshooting an issue at 3am and trying to figure what is this zone doing there, is it supposed to be there. Clean up while it's still fresh in your head.

@dynamoxxx
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: