Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR 4000 series bridging

Dmitry Zaytsev
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there!

I have an issue to replace my old 2821 router with ISR 4431. I have this in my old router config:

interface Serial0/3/1:0
no ip address
encapsulation frame-relay IETF
frame-relay lmi-type ansi

interface Serial0/3/1:0.16 point-to-point
frame-relay interface-dlci 16 IETF
bridge-group 1

interface BVI1
ip address X.21.1.1 255.255.255.252

Is there a way to configure somthing like this on 4000 series router? I found out that service instance is not available on serial subinterface.

Thank you in advance.

5 Replies 5

Vinit Jain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Service Instance configuration is only allowed under Ethernet (Gig / 10G) ports not under serial.

Just wondering, did you check the feature support on the platform for frame-relay. 

i think it should be supported on serial interfaces / sub-interface.

Also, could you please elaborate what error are you getting? What license have you configured?

Regards

Vinit

Thanks
--Vinit

I did not get any problem with FR configure. But i did not find a way to configure bridging on serial subinterface. As isp maked G.703 for me and ethernet on the other side i have to configure BVI (or something instead for IOS XE)

I have got appxk9, securityk9, and ipbasek9 features.

Kind regards

Dmitry

amged.hazem
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dmirty,

-Can you inform me if there is any solution for this configuration.

Best Regards

Not applicable

I checked the feature navigator to compare IOS XE 3.16.0S to IOS 12.4T (which is an old version that definitely supported this). "Transparent Bridging" is unique to the older image, which implies the XE train does not support it. There are several other FR features unique to 12.4T that the newer code does not support.

I am in a tough situation as a result, and I am actively looking for workarounds. I will let you know what I come up with.

I'm actually going through the same scenario with using bridge group on 1 of my ethernet interfaces and trying to configure that same for my NIM-2T card serial connection. Did you ever find a workaround to get this feature to work?  Thank you. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card