Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring 2 VLAN with different Gateways

Hello,
I need to setup to VLAN inside a network.
I have a network with this gateway 144.146.18.1, a DNS server 144.146.18.14 and a mask 255.255.0.0

IPs are assigned via DHCP.

And I need to connect a PLC which has a default gateway like this 192.168.0.200 and a static IP. I need to give internet access to this PLC

So, I guess I need to create a second VLAN in order to do this.

Is it possible?

I'm working with these switches: Cisco SG200-26 26-port Gigabit Smart Switch

Thank you in advance

17 Replies 17

rais
Level 7
Level 7

To give PLC access to the internet while keeping its 192.168.0 address, you need to NAT it's 192.168.0.x address to 144.146.18.x address.

The other way would be to place the PLC on the public [144.146.18.] VLAN.

Thanks.

So I need to NAT IP 192.168.0.200 (it will be the Gateway) on a Port. Then I have to plug a Router into that port. And finally, connect PLC with IP address 192.168.0.x to the router.

Am I right?

You have to Network Address Translate (NAT) the PLC address [not gateway address]. This NAT will be performed by the Internet facing router/firewall and will be transparent to other network elements. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/network-address-translation-nat/13772-12.html

Rais.

I finally did NAT to that IP and it is working.

Thank you for your support.

Hello

I have not used those switches, So cannot comment on the functionality regards available services.

Dont you have access to the internet already? -if you have access from the 192.168.0.0 network then NAT is already enabled and youll need to specify a static nat entry for this PLC device on whatever device is supplying the DHCP for the 192.168.0.0 network as I guess that doing the routing also

Do you have router connecting to these switches?

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I have not connected the PLC yet. I need to set up the network before.

Since I don't know the requirements, I have not bought any router yet. I wanted to be sure that I can do it and then I will get everything I need.

Hello

I need to setup to VLAN inside a network.
I have a network with this gateway 144.146.18.1, a DNS server 144.146.18.14 and a mask 255.255.0.0

IPs are assigned via DHCP.

Since I don't know the requirements, I have not bought any router yet. I wanted to be sure that I can do it and then I will get everything I need.

Since you say you don't the hardware - can you tell us what actually you do have currently running

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I have the switches running and I have the PLC without connection.

Hello

sill not sure on what it is your asking - it sounds like youhave dual wan links and wish to communicate between them from a source Vlan or that you have two L3 vlans and wish the connect between them?

Maybe you could post a simple topology to help?

res

paul

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello,

I have a complete network working (servers, desktops,switches, hubs...) under Star Topology.

Gateway is 144.146.18.1, DNS Server is 144.146.18.14 and IPs are automatically assigned by DHCP server from 144.146.18.50 to 144.146.18.200

And I have found a PLC that should be connected to the internet with IP 192.168.0.21 and Gateway 192.168.0.200. PLC settings can not be changed. It is connected to one of our switches (Cisco SG200-26 26-port Gigabit Smart Switch).

So, what do I really need to do in order to give internet access to this PLC without modifying PLC settings?

Thank you in advance

Hi;

Please review my first comment, you need a Router with internet connection. If PLC gateway cannot change then your Router ip address should be 192.168.0.200 on LAN side & then enable NAT for 192.168.0.21 IP Address or more.

E.g: RTR:

Int g0/0

Description ISP Link for Internet

ip add X.X.X.X

ip nat outside

no shut

Int g0/1

Description LAN – PLC

ip add 192.168.0.200

ip nat inside

no shut

access-list 10 permit host 192.168.0.21

ip nat inside source list 10 interface g0/0 overload

Thanks & Best regards;

So, I have a Cisco 800 Series Router. A firewall connected to that Router and all the servers, switches connected to that firewall.

Your suggestion is to connect PLC directly to that router?

Also, I will have to change Router IP address to 192.168.0.200. isn't it?

Hi Jorgen;

Can you share you complete topology and your requirement. With half information no body can suggest or troubleshoot your issue.

Thanks & Best regards;

Hello

And I need to connect a PLC which has a default gateway like this 192.168.0.200 and a static IP. I need to give internet access to this PLC

It seems like you have this PLC device connecting to "another " device probably a rtr and you wish to give this internet access without changing it addressing.

So you either need to change the addressing of the PLC device to a routable one or as stated by others apply some network translation as the 192.168.x.x is not a routable Internet ip address.

If 192.168.0.200 device seems to be performing routing , So apart from providing a default gateway for the PLC what else is it used for?

If this rtr is the same device connecting upstream towards the gateway  144.146.18.1, then I simple nat statement on this rtr would be applicable to provide internet access to the PLC device.

But I am not clear how your physical network setup is, Hence why I previously stated, posting a simple topology to help in the resolution of your issue

res

Paul

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card