Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300-28MP POE issues with network cameras

Jan Gils
Level 1
Level 1

I'm using a SG300-28MP switch (firmware updated to the latest version):

and when I make a connection to an Axis M3014 POE ip camera, nothing happens. The camera doesn't boot up and it seems it doesn't get any power through POE. When I use the camera in a netgear switch with POE, everything works OK. The same issue happens when using an IP-camera from 2N which is integrated in a door for access. The camera doesn't power up when combining it with SG300-28MP, but it does work with a small netgear POE switch.

More details on the Axis camera with the latest firmware (5.40.9.8):

It's a class 1 POE user, so everything should work.

There are only 2 other connections to the SG300-28MP: one computer and one uplink connection. With both camera's connected, the computer & the uplink, the port overview looks like this:

Only GE12 and GE4 are in use (computer & uplink), but both camera's are not showing. The Axis camera is on GE1. 

If I run the command "show power inline", the result is:

If I run the command "show power inline gigabitethernet 1" then I get the following result:

If I run "show interfaces advertise gigabitethernet 1", the result is:

I also disabled "EEE" globally and on port 1, just to be sure...

And I ran a cable test (I put the camera on a 0.5m SFTP CAT6 cable):

It looks I'm missing something because I specially bought from well known brands (Cisco, Axis) to get things working hassle free.

Anyone can give some advice?

3 Replies 3

Jan Gils
Level 1
Level 1

No-one can give support?

I would image using Axis and Cisco components everything works just fine?

Does anyone know a method to test wether the POE ports are actually giving power? Can you measure it on one of the wires of an UTP - connection?

Jan,

You cannot meaure the power as it depends what class of PoE device you are using.

The switch and the device have a chat to see what power it needs then the switch gives it the power.

2 Things you could try.

1, By a cheap PoE WAP and firstly, plug it directly into the switch and make sure it comes up.

2, If that works plug it in where the camera is.

3, Check the cable with a Fluke, could be an issue with it.

4 Plug the camera in locally to the switch to confirm, it works.