Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring MGCP on CUCM and gateway

Nightwolf_82
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of configuring MGCP gateway and faced some issues with it.

SYD-RTR#show diag
Slot 0:
C2811 Motherboard with 2FE and integrated VPN Port adapter, 2 ports

PVDM Slot 0:
16-channel (G.711) Voice/Fax PVDMII DSP SIMM PVDM daughter card

PVDM Slot 1:
16-channel (G.711) Voice/Fax PVDMII DSP SIMM PVDM daughter card

WIC Slot 0:
VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 - 2-Port RJ-48 Multiflex Trunk - T1/E1

Slot 1:
Integrated Service Engine Port adapter, 1 port

- Integrated Service Engine Daughter Card.

For connection to PSTN the VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 module is used which is installed in router's slot 0. I selected slot 0 NM-4VWIC-MBRD and subunit slo 0 VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1. Is that correct?

On voice gateway I have isdn switch-type primary-net5, line coding - HDB3, framing - CRC4 which as far as I know what is is supposed to be for Australia. However, during MGCP setup if I choose Global ISDN Switch Type - AUSTRALIAN, then HDB3 for line coding and CRC4 for framing are not available. HDB3 for line coding and CRC4 for framing become available only if I select ISDN Switch Type - EURO. Should I choose EURO?

16 Replies 16

I don't think there is MGCP support for the Primary-NET5

Guys,

Could you please shed some light on this issue. In previous message it is said that MGCP is not supported over primary-net5. However, I came across a lot of examples with MGCP and primary-net5. What should I trust to? 

Thank you.

Primary-net5 is supported with MGCP, have done it many times. Here is a small MGCP config from an IOS router:

!
ip host CM1 192.168.248.5
ip host CM2 192.168.248.6

!
controller E1 0/0/0
 pri-group timeslots 1-31 service mgcp
!
!
interface Serial0/0/0:15
 no ip address
 encapsulation hdlc
 isdn switch-type primary-net5
 isdn incoming-voice voice
 isdn bind-l3 ccm-manager
 no cdp enable
!
!
voice-port 0/0/0:15
 echo-cancel coverage 64
!
!
ccm-manager redundant-host CM1
ccm-manager mgcp
no ccm-manager fax protocol cisco
ccm-manager music-on-hold
ccm-manager config server 192.168.248.5  
ccm-manager config
!
mgcp
mgcp call-agent CM2 2427 service-type mgcp version 0.1
mgcp rtp unreachable timeout 1000 action notify
mgcp modem passthrough voip mode nse
mgcp package-capability rtp-package
mgcp package-capability sst-package
mgcp package-capability pre-package
no mgcp package-capability res-package
no mgcp timer receive-rtcp
mgcp sdp simple
mgcp fax t38 inhibit
!
mgcp profile default
!

Some of these commands are configured automatically by CUCM

MGCP uses names, so the host name of the IOS gateway is the name in the CUCM configuration. And if you also give your IOS gateway a domain name, so the gateways has a FQDN, then in CUCM you have to use FQDN

Bye

JH

Hi JH,

Highly appreciate your help. Could you please clarify one thing related to MGCP gateway. Is it trues that additional config is required between CUCM and MGCP gateway if fractional PRI is used? I have pri-group timeslot 1-10 configured on my serial 0/0/0:15 interface instead of pri-group timeslot 1-31.

Thanks.

MGCP assumes 31, you can't configure partial E1 PRI with MGCP

It might work, but maybe H323/SIP might do it better, not sure

Bye

Jan

This is what I have found for CUCM 7.

MGCP gateway does not support fractional PRI. But there is work around for that. Though i wuld say Cisco would not encourage you to use this work around. But this would work fine.

Here is the document which explains you on how to configure fractional PRI on MGCP gateway.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_configuration_example09186a008076f8d2.shtml

Since this is an MGCP gateway, the CUCM is in control of the gateway and all the configuration has to be done on the CUCM. If you just configure 1-15 channels in gateway, the CUCM will not know about this information and there has to be a way to tell the CUCM that we are using only 15 channels in this PRI.

I just wonder if something has changed thereafter.

The times I had fractional ISDN (mostly connected to other PBX's) I used SIP or H323.

But you can try this work around, never tried it myself

Jan

Hi guys,

I configured MGCP and now outgoing call flows work fine. However, for some reasons incoming calls doesn't work. 

According to the dial-peer on PSTN router the number 233333XXX should come to MGCP gateway:

dial-peer voice 2 pots
description **SYDNEY 23333XXXX**
destination-pattern ^6123333....
direct-inward-dial
port 0/0/0:15
forward-digits 9

I created translation pattern on CUCM:

Translation Pattern - 233333XXX
Partition - SYD-International-PT
Calling Search Space - SYD-Unlimited-CSS
Called Party Transform Mask - 3XXX

It doesn't work. How can I debug in order to figure out the reason of the issue.

Thank you. 

Hi Aakim,

Dial peer not used in mgcp gateway, it only works in h323 and sip gateways.

Make sure CSS is selected on pri page configuration page under mgcp gateway in CUCM.

Can you attach debug isdn q931 from gateway.

Suresh

Hi Suresh,

The dial-peer sniper I provided is not from MGCP gateway, but from PSTN simulator.

I will attach debug isdn q931 later.

Hi Suresh,

I attached screenshots of PRI CSS and output of DNA.

I also tried to debug using debug isdn q931 but when I dial the number behind MGCP gateway nothing happens on the gateway.

The issue has been resolved. Have no idea why it didn't work in the beginning but now it's OK. 

And Primary-net5 is euro in CUCM

So, even though I configure MGCP for Australia I still should select Global ISDN Switch Type - EURO instead of AUSTRALIAN? Is that correct?