Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber & IM and presence

collinks2
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

I have Cisco 8945 phone configured on cucm version 10.5.2.i equally have im and presence installed for my telepresence. I can call 8945  ip phone via telepresence. Due to limited number of phones, I decided to set up jabber client application on Windows so that those who could not get the phone can collaborate with other users through jabber client. What do I need to set up in the im and presence for jabber to work effectively? Secondly, must I set up users in active directory for LDAP SYNC in the cucm?  There is no  corporate directory running my network.

Hope to read from experts

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

(a). Have you added the IM&P server as a subscriber on CUCM?

(b). Have you defined the DNS on the IM&P?

(c). Have you create host entries in forward reverse lookup zone and reverse lookup zone? If not then please do it and check if it helps.

(d). Make sure you use the correct security password. it should be same as to what you have defined on CUCM.

Aseem

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Varundeep Chhatwal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi , if you looking forward to use jabber for only calling then only CUCM is required. if you are planning to use jabber for IM chatting as well then IMP server will come in picture. For windows jabber client , you need to create CSF device and associate those CSF device to user who want to use it. refer the below doc

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_0/CJAB_BK_D657A25F_00_deployment-installation-guide-jabber-110/CJAB_BK_D657A25F_00_deployment-installation-guide-jabber-110_chapter_01010.html

jabber will still work if you don't have corporate directory. cucm locally created users can be synced to IMP server. you have just select " enable user for IM capabilities" on end user page

Hi, Thanks for the update. When I try to associate the csf device with the end user, I find zero record in the find/list users. Should I create users first before creating csf device? What are the parameters to set up for the user like the user ID, password,? Cisco jabber client is asking for domain name to login. For it, collinks@cisco.com

You need to have end users, local or LDAP, that's your choice.

ALL the information you need to configure J4W is in the guides in this link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/unified-communications/jabber-windows/tsd-products-support-series-home.html

You need to do your due diligence, and review all the related information, then you will configure the devices. The guides have a whole chapter that explains service discovery and how to login into Jabber.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hello,

I just tried to configure jabber for Andriod using cisco Android dual mode.i have associated it with an end user.of course i can test this by log into 10.108.13.6/ccmuser. My challenge is that i can't  sign in from my Andriod phone.i clicked on advanced settings . i entered the ip address of the cucm and it directed me to im and presence server. Now the im nd presence server is asking for username and password. i thought the phone can register only with cucm for phone mode.

Does any one have better idea on how to tackle this problem

Hi,

Thank you  for your contributions. However, i am having im  and presence installation issue. My cucm and imp are running version 10.5.2. I can ping the imp from the cli of cucm. The installation process keeps redirecting to the cucm publisher node settings. I have checked the  host name, ip address, password of the cucm and all are correct. What do I do to resolve this network issue?

Hi,

(a). Have you added the IM&P server as a subscriber on CUCM?

(b). Have you defined the DNS on the IM&P?

(c). Have you create host entries in forward reverse lookup zone and reverse lookup zone? If not then please do it and check if it helps.

(d). Make sure you use the correct security password. it should be same as to what you have defined on CUCM.

Aseem

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

1. The imp is the first server to be added on cucm, so it appeared as the publisher. On the status of the server, it's listed as subscriber under database replication. On the virtual server, the cucm Manger was the first to be installed, hence it's the publisher. Unless, u r advising me to install two imp  servers so the first one will be publisher and the second one will be subscriber. In the cucm, the first imp server is tagged publisher by default.

2. I don't have dns running in my network, so I skipped the dns settings. Cisco router is my dhcp server

3. I will try the step.

4. I use the same security for both.

collinks2
Level 5
Level 5

Hello everyone,

I have downloaded and installed Cisco ip communicator 8.6 on Windows 8. I have set up call manager. The ip communicator can see the ctl file tftp ip address. The ip communicator is reading Configuring ip but won't register. Can this be a licence problem for the communicator.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: