Views
Helpful
Replies

Client IPv6 using WLC anchor

Bob Stigsson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

using an 5508 with 8.0121 and 5508 anchor with 8.0.121 and trying to get IPv6 clients to work.

I have enabled Multicast, but not "AP IPv6 Multicast Mode" (under Controller-General), because I can´t see why I should. 

The IPv6 clients traffic should only be bridged through the two WLC´s to reach the IPv6 router.

I can see in the foreign controller that the client has an IPv6 address, but the client don´t turn up in the anchor.

Using EoIP still. I don´t want to enable more IPv6 handling than I need.

I´m been looking at a lot of Google recommendations and could see that one way to go is to enable the above "AP IPv6...".

But I can´t understand why? And if I do, do I really need an IPv6 wired multicast ready network for that?

Anyone did this?

//Bob

1 Reply 1

Bob Stigsson
Level 1
Level 1

I got it to work, the anchored clients gets an IPv6 address from the default router, so that´s fine.

But unfortunately when I´m trying on a 5520, I can´t just enable Global Multicast. When I´m trying, I get:

"Multicast-Unicast mode does not support IGMP/MLD Snopping. Config mode to Multicast-Multicast first"

And when I´m trying this, at "AP IPv6 Multicast Mode" with an IPv6 address, I get:

"Management interface doesn´t have an IPv6 address. Please configure the same before configuring Multicast IPv6 address"

So I need to configure an IPv6 address on the Management interface to get IPv6 anchored clients to work.

Can anyone tell me why this should be needed?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card