cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

(SOLVED) Jabber/CIPC - Answer call on locked workstation

Reuben Gehman
Level 1
Level 1

We are trying to use the Jabber softphone in place of a deskphone. Our company has a 5 minute inactive workstation screen lock policy. Is there a way to answer an incoming voice call on Jabber Windows while the computer is at the lock screen? I'm not expecting it to unlock the PC but it would be nice to let the person answer the call while they are signing back in.

(SOLVED)

It appears that Jabra headsets that are driven by the Jabra Direct application are capable of Answer/Hang up actions even while a workstation is locked.

Softphones tested - Cisco IP Communicator, Jabber Windows

OS tested - Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Headsets tested - Jabra 9450 PRO, Jabra Evolve 40 UC (Wired), Jabra Evolve 65 MS (Wireless)

Required items - incluced USB dongle (varies by model), Jabra Direct application

Scenarios tested:

Scenario 1: Softphone in focus (active window), workstation at lock screen.

Scenario 2: Softphone running in system tray (in the background), workstation at lock screen.

Scenario 3: Softphone running in system tray (in the background), workstation is unlocked.

Results: Same for each scenario.

Softphone called from other phone, ringtones is heard from headset and PC speakers. Answer/Hang up button is pressed on headset, call is answered. While call is in progress, Answer/Hang up button is pressed on headset. Softphone disconnects the Call. Workstation remains at lock screen (Scenario 1 &2 ).

Thanks to pierigs81 for posting your success with Jabra headsets.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

We tried it. It's working well with the Jabra PRO 9450 Headset. I assume every headset which can pick up calls from softphone works. SfB works as well btw.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't know of anyway to do that, I don't know of any app you can use on Windows while it's locked.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I just have the same request from a customer. Wouldn't it be possible with a connected headset to pick up an incoming call even if the screen is locked? 

You'd have to give that a try, that is not something that was tested.

HTH

java

We tried it. It's working well with the Jabra PRO 9450 Headset. I assume every headset which can pick up calls from softphone works. SfB works as well btw.

Thanks for coming back with the results, at least that will give some info for anyone else trying to do the same.

HTH

java

Thanks for the suggestion, I can confirm the Jabra PRO 9450 Headset works with CIPC and Jabber. We're waiting on a couple Jabra Evolve headsets to come in for testing. We're building one of those new-fangled "open/fluid workspaces" where everyone will be moving around a lot and working on laptops. The Jabra Evolve headsets don't need an AC powered base-station but still offer call control buttons. Will post if they work as well.

Edit

The Jabra Evolve 40 wired  and Evolve 65 wireless work as well, using to the provided USB dongle and Jabra Direct software.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: