Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS Services Stop Unexpectedly

Michael McClain
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are running TMS 14.6 Win 2008 VM Server. Our services stop unexpectedly. The course of action is to have the services start automatically, which they do. I have hounded our hosting group for an explanation but have yet to receive one. Most of the time it happens at night or in the early morning. But every now and then it happens during the day and causes havoc with our VTC support center. TMS is down until the services fully restart. It happens sporadically and we can go weeks without it occurring and then it will start happening again.Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know what could cause this? Any input or assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

8 Replies 8

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is this a single TMS server, running standalone or in a cluster?

Have you checked the TMS diagnostic logs or even Windows event logs to see if they might indicate why the services are stopping?

single TMS. i have checked the logs. i don't have complete access to everything server wise, but from what i am allowed to see there is nothing that indicates as to why this happens. We have learned to live with it, but I would sure like to find out the reason why. 

You can download TMS diagnostic logs from the web interface under Admin Tools > TMS Server Maintenance.

I have done that in the past and am doing it now. From what I can tell the services stop and restart because TMS loses contact with the SQL server briefly. It also looks like I have timeout errors as well. My biggest problem is showing our hosting group that a problem exists. I am a contractor for a Government Agency so there are a lot of procedures and red tape I have to go through. Here is just a snippet of what happened yesterday afternoon:

2016-08-23 17:03:37,842 [6] WARN TMSServerDiagnosticsService.TmsServerDiagnosticsService - Problems connecting to database. Waiting 1 minute before continuing.
2016-08-23 17:03:38,404 [12] WARN Tandberg.TMS.Framework.Db.DbHelper - procedure failed: NET_Status_Service_Update, underlying error: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
2016-08-23 17:03:38,404 [12] WARN Tandberg.TMS.Framework.Db.DbHelper - Procedure parameters:
@intServiceType = TMSServerDiagnostics
@strMachineName = V18OVHRTAY260
@uuidTmsGuid = 57fc45bb-3719-481a-aac8-48a17212dbed
@intInfo = StatusRunning

another snippet:

TMSDatabaseScannerService.Scanners.InfrastructureScanner] WARN Tandberg.TMS.Framework.Db.DbHelper - procedure failed: NET_Dummy_Query, underlying error: A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The semaphore timeout period has expired.)
2016-08-23 17:02:52,960 [TMSDBScanner-

If the cause is the connection with the SQL server, I'd try and match the times that TMS looses connection with the database to when the services stop.

agreed. i am going through that process now.

mnikkel01
Level 1
Level 1

I am having this same issue now as well.  Did you find any reasons behind it all?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: