cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Softphone only

AskQ2Forum_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello we have a customer that want to use J4W in softphone mode only. Doesn't require status updates nor IM as their corporate policy has Lync for IM and Presence. So we have configured jabber as softphone only connected to CUCM servers. do I need a presence server as a gateway so that the Lync client can show 'on the phone status' (for example)? thanks...Jag

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

no , it is not a supported scenario for RCC. you need a deskphone which you will associate with application user configured for RCC. IMP server will communicate to CTI Manager server over QBE/CTI protocol via its SIP Proxy service. If you are not using deskphone then this is not the supported scenario. refer the below as well

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/im_presence/lync_integration/10_0_1/CUP0_BK_L6E2133B_00_lync-integration-guide-100.html

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Varundeep Chhatwal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

do jabbe rusers have lync users in their contact ? are you trying to acheive " on a phone" on jabber for lync users ?

i guess you don't have IM and Presence , am i right ?

Hi Varundeep, thanks for the reply. all our users will only use jabber as softphone and will connect to CUCM and we have not installed an IMP server. However how will their Lynch client show 'on the phone' or 'busy' when they are on a jabber call.

Previously we have had same scenario where our users had a cisco ip phone but lync client and we had to install an IMP server to be able to control the phone and show busy when users were on the phone.   thanks, hope that's clear :-)

i am still a little bit unclear of the issue. it is impossible that jabber softphone to see the status of lync clients if there is no integration between UC and lync server.

As far as i could understand , previously you had RCC configured to control cisco ip phones via lync client. in RCC , we need presence server so that lync is able to control the deskphone via cti.

please elaborate more.

Hi, my scenario with the ip phones was with a different customer but I think same applies , we still need a presence server for the jabber softphone for RCC . Is this a supported scenario ?  (no ip phones, just jabber client as a softphone).

no , it is not a supported scenario for RCC. you need a deskphone which you will associate with application user configured for RCC. IMP server will communicate to CTI Manager server over QBE/CTI protocol via its SIP Proxy service. If you are not using deskphone then this is not the supported scenario. refer the below as well

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/im_presence/lync_integration/10_0_1/CUP0_BK_L6E2133B_00_lync-integration-guide-100.html

Varundeep, thanks for the clarification....Jag

hello,

Even though this is quite old discussion, I would like to ask my question as I am also planning to give my customer Jabber in Softphone mode only (no IMP), they will use Skype for IMP
my questions are as follows:
1) when we install Jabber first time in PC (J4W) does it update any register field and impacts the Skype presence showing on Outlook, if yes, any suggestions how to fix it ?

2) In softphone mode only I want to setup SRV records for service discovery. i.e. "_Cisco-uds..... "
but what will Jabber ID be in this case as I will sync using SAMAccount name ?

hello,

Even though this is quite old discussion, I would like to ask my question as I am also planning to give my customer Jabber in Softphone mode only (no IMP), they will use Skype for IMP
my questions are as follows:
1) when we install Jabber first time in PC (J4W) does it update any register field and impacts the Skype presence showing on Outlook, if yes, any suggestions how to fix it ?

2) In softphone mode only I want to setup SRV records for service discovery. i.e. _Cisco-uds.....
but what will Jabber ID be in this case as I will sync using SAMAccount name ?

1. Can't say for sure. If you are going to be using this in Phone only mode, it should not interfere with Skype I believe.
2. JID defaults to sAMAccount. You can move to a flexible JID if required which can use the mail or userprincipal name attribute but that would require the change to be in the jabber-config.xml file.

Thanks Nipun for response.

1) I think Jabber does update the Presence related registry settings once its installed and as a result the Skype presence from outlook disappears ?

2) As I am not deploying IMP in my UC infra, Jabber will be used as softphone only. 
 I don't think we can call this Flexible JID ?

I understand I can sync with UPN so that user ID on CUCM become similar to EMail ID and then we can  enter complete Email address (kind of) format to login into Jabber ?   

1. Like I said, I am not sure about this. I will let someone else here talk about it.
2. I don't think it really matters. My reference to flexible JID was to move away from the default behavior which is against sAMAccount. If you have to use UPN or mail, you have to tell Jabber through the config file. You question was what JID will it be. I covered both the possibilities for you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: