Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200-08P - Link Agreggation

TP_Adm123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

quick query - i have a customer having issues with network performance. All machines on the local lan are fine, but performance beyond to other hosts (via an upstream switch network) is slow.

There are 2 cables from the upstream switch available to the floor, and I have 6 clients (5 clients and server) connected in the local lan on the SG200-08P. My question is, is there any way to load balance network traffic to the upstream switch over more than one uplink? I was thinking of LAG but as I cannot activate LACP on the upstream network switch (belongs to a separate company and I dont have access to it), then I guess that is out.

Do I have any other options here, if I cannot use LACP with the upstream switch?

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

The SG200-08P is a gigabit switch, is the port connecting to the upstream switch running at 1GB Full Duplex on both ends?

Unless they are uploading/downloading large files, 1GB should be ample for a handful of users.

Check the stats on the link to ensure there are no errors and confirm that its running at near 100% capacity, there may be another issue instead of the link actually being saturated.

Assuming you do in fact need more bandwidth and its a Layer 2 link then your only real option is link aggregation but this needs to be enabled both ends.

Adding a second link without Link Aggregation will just give you failover as STP will likely block one of the paths to prevent a loop.

Thanks