Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Service Domain / Voice Service Domain

Agor85
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have seen a couple of cisco slides and presentations about the usage of Service Domain / Voice Service Domain.

Apart from the hybrid example (webex messenger + onpremise voice),  there might be the situation, that the presence domain is internal.local and the external domain is company.com .

So in that case I would set the "service domain" to example.local and the "voice service domain" to company.com .  Which means Jabber always try "voice service domain", if no uds/collab edge DNS svr entry could be found with the "service domain" variable.

Is this correct?

Thanks for confirming my knowledge.

Rgds

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

1. You can set the service domain as internal.com as well but i havn't tried that after defining both voice service domain and service domain , will jabber ask for complete IM address or not. i guess it should still ask. You can try that and check.

2. Once jabber starts the DNS Service discovery , it will first look if voice service domain is defined or not. in your case if you define it as external.com , it will start looking for that external domain through collab-ege.

the link which i shared in my previous post was wrong. below is the correct link. this will clear your doubts.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/expressway-series/117811-configure-vcs-00.html

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Varundeep Chhatwal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Let me clarify this to you.

for example a company is having internal domain as internal.com and external.com

so when logging in internally , user has to enter credentials as user@internal.com and when the user is outside i.e over MRA then he has to enter credentials as user1@external.com. This is not user friendly way to login. Ideally a user should always enter user1@internal.com irrespective from where he is logging from in order to give rich user experience.

So inorder to acheive this service domian and voice service domain comes in picture. During jabber installation we define the voice service domain( external domain) in bootstrap file. Its becomes hardcoded in bootstrap file after installation.

Now when jabber comes to know that he is over MRA through its PC's interface , it will request for collab-edge DNS SRV record and when it comes to know that jabber is internal then cisco-uds dns srv request is made. Follow the below link for more clarification.

Please rate the helpful post.

Hello Varundeep,

thanks for your answer.

So if you set the external domain with the "voice service domain".

Question 1 - User id:

What happens with the "service domain" variable? Could I set it to "internal.com" (presence domain) and user could login with "user" instead of "user@internal.com"? In that case the "internal.com" would be attached to the "user" for IMP login process?

Question 2:

Is Jabber running through the SRV records process for both variables? So if it cannot find uds/collab-edge entries with "service domain" (to identify, if its in our outside the network), it will jump to the "voice service domain" and looks there?

I just would like to understand the jabber limitations.

Thanks.

P.S.: Unfortunately I cannot access the link.

1. You can set the service domain as internal.com as well but i havn't tried that after defining both voice service domain and service domain , will jabber ask for complete IM address or not. i guess it should still ask. You can try that and check.

2. Once jabber starts the DNS Service discovery , it will first look if voice service domain is defined or not. in your case if you define it as external.com , it will start looking for that external domain through collab-ege.

the link which i shared in my previous post was wrong. below is the correct link. this will clear your doubts.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/expressway-series/117811-configure-vcs-00.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: