Helpful
Replies

RV320 No Internet Connection

shanebutlerit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am new to the forum.

I have recently purchased a Cisco RV320 and am having some issues with getting the WAN / Internet connectivity setup on this device.

My current setup is being used to test an implementation of this router, so I need to get my head around what the router is trying to do in order to replicate this when I install it in it's production environment.

Currently, I have a home office modem / router (Linksys XAC1900) which gives my home network an active internet connection (IP: 192.168.1.1, connection type is PPPoE)

I have connected the RV320 from one of the LAN ports on here into the primary WAN port on the RV320.

The RV320 has been setup with 3 x VLANs (require for separation of devices when it is connected to its production enviroment) It has been assigned the following IPs;
VLAN 1: 192.168.1.X
VLAN 2: 192.168.2.X
VLAN 3: 192.168.3.X

I have the inter-LAn connectivity working whereby I can ping the router (RV320) from each VLAN, which is fine. None of these VLANs are however receiving an Internet connection from my home modem / router.

When checking the System Summary page of the RV320 the Internet / WAN port is showing "Connected (Inactive)".

I am not 100% sure what the WAN Connection type should be as the Linksys has already connected to the ISP and is routing fine on my local network, so would I just use the "Obain IP Automatically" from the Basic Setup Wizard for the WAN connection?

Any assistance someone could provide would be greatly appreciated, I have had this router for approx two weeks and my deadline is looming and I still cannot work out how to get the RV320 to get an internet connection from my Linksys XAC1900.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

benh
Level 1
Level 1

I had a similar problem - have you set your router to be a 'gateway' rather than 'router'?

I was confused on that issue, and it definitely stops Internet, but not pinging...

If your Linksys is set up with DHCP, then you can set the RV320 Wan to draw the IP automatically. Its probably better all the way 'round to just set the router's WAN to something like 192.168.1.200 (or some high number that's not currently in use)

Another problem I see is that you're trying to test with the WAN being the same as the LAN. Switch your VLANS to 192.168.X. - where x isn't a '1'.

I'm no IT guy, but these are the things I see...

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

benh
Level 1
Level 1

I had a similar problem - have you set your router to be a 'gateway' rather than 'router'?

I was confused on that issue, and it definitely stops Internet, but not pinging...

If your Linksys is set up with DHCP, then you can set the RV320 Wan to draw the IP automatically. Its probably better all the way 'round to just set the router's WAN to something like 192.168.1.200 (or some high number that's not currently in use)

Another problem I see is that you're trying to test with the WAN being the same as the LAN. Switch your VLANS to 192.168.X. - where x isn't a '1'.

I'm no IT guy, but these are the things I see...

cammunoz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings, 

Thank you for contacting Cisco support community center. 

As mentioned by "benh@dialcomm.com", it seems that the subnet for your VLAN 1 is the same as the subnet used by the Linksys router. You may change this value by going to "Setup / Network / Multiple Subnet Table" , select the row that needs to be changed (192.168.1.1 on this case) and click on edit. Once there, change the "Device IP Address" to a different IP (e.g. 192.168.10.1), make sure that the DHCP values are changed as well to the new subnet. 

Please, take in mind that the new subnet needs to be different from the other VLAN's subnets, also, once you change the IP for Vlan 1, you need to use the new IP in order to access the router again. 

If you are still having internet issues after applying the changes, please, feel free to contact our support line at 1866-606-1866.

shanebutlerit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. With your help I have managed to get an active Internet connection on my VLANs now.

I have now got issues with being able to connect from the Linksys router range (192.168.1.X) through to any of the VLANs, when pinging from 192.168.1.X to any VLAN the request times out. From the RV320 I can ping devices with a response from all the VLANs to the 192.168.1.X.

I have enabled Inter-Routing on the RV320, not sure where this is being blocked, if it is on the 192.168.1.X side or the RV320. Any further ideas?