Replies

%IP_SNMP-4-NOTRAPIP: SNMP trap source Loopback0 has no ip address

carringg1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Cisco Catalyst 4506. I keep getting this message in the "show log"

"%IP_SNMP-4-NOTRAPIP: SNMP trap source Loopback0 has no ip address"

My question is if I do (No SNMP trap source Loopback0 has no ip address) to remove it or if I add the manage vlan, will the device go down? Will this be intrusive?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi ,

Can you confirm was there an interface loopback0 configured before and then removed it afterwards? 

If this is the case, it is normal to see the log message you concerned  "%IP_SNMP-4-NOTRAPIP: SNMP trap source Loopback0 has no ip address" 

What could happen is, there was interface loopback0 configured, and the trap-source was also configured with loopback0 interface.

When interface loopback0 was removed from the configuration, the snmp-server trap-source configuration was removed.  As snmp agent will not restart if your remove the trap source interface so you will see the error message you concerned.

No , none of action will bring your device down. No Impact on the device.

You can also try this ::

You can do a SNMP warm restart :

To do this do     show running | inc snmp   and make sure to save all your SNMP config. 

Now do   #conf t  

#no snmp-server 

and check via     show processes  | inc SNMP that all processes except "SNMP Timers" are stopped.  Now configure SNMP again anad verify if you are still seeing the same issue.

Thanks-

Afroz

***Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi ,

Can you confirm was there an interface loopback0 configured before and then removed it afterwards? 

If this is the case, it is normal to see the log message you concerned  "%IP_SNMP-4-NOTRAPIP: SNMP trap source Loopback0 has no ip address" 

What could happen is, there was interface loopback0 configured, and the trap-source was also configured with loopback0 interface.

When interface loopback0 was removed from the configuration, the snmp-server trap-source configuration was removed.  As snmp agent will not restart if your remove the trap source interface so you will see the error message you concerned.

No , none of action will bring your device down. No Impact on the device.

You can also try this ::

You can do a SNMP warm restart :

To do this do     show running | inc snmp   and make sure to save all your SNMP config. 

Now do   #conf t  

#no snmp-server 

and check via     show processes  | inc SNMP that all processes except "SNMP Timers" are stopped.  Now configure SNMP again anad verify if you are still seeing the same issue.

Thanks-

Afroz

***Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card