Views
Helpful
Replies

SUP2 to SUP2A Upgrade MDS9509 Question

tbonfigli
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All!

I just had a quick question regarding the upgrade procedures for migrating from a SUP2 to a SUP2A in the MDS 9509 chassis.  The procedures seem very straightforward (we have already staged the SUP2As with the identical version of NX-OS being run on the current SUP2s).  That said, I had a question regarding the "note" that appears in the procedures which states (I attached the document to which I am referring and the procedures start on Page#11):

"The Supervisor-2 module may remain in a powered down status with the following reason: 'Policy trigger initiated reset: Standby has lower memory than active'"

Now, this makes all the sense in the world since the SUP2As have 2GB of memory when compared to the SUP2s.  However, it doesn't mention anything with respect to whether or not you need take some "special" action of some kind or if you just continue to move on to the step where you "out-of-service" the SUP2 even though it has posted this error - or is it effectively "out-of-service" at that point and can I just remove the module from the chassis at this point.  My assumption is that you just move forward with the procedures, but I wanted to throw the question out to the SMEs here in the hopes that someone who has done this upgrade from the SUP2 to the SUP2A might be able to provide some feedback/insight on this status message.

Again, the SUP2 will have rebooted and is getting yanked out anyway, but I wanted to be sure before we get to the point of no return :-)  Okay, as always, thank you so much for your support!

Cheers,

Travis

1 Reply 1

tbonfigli
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All!

Well, we had to move forward with the upgrade and I just wanted to share my experience.  We successfully upgraded 2 SUP2s to SUP2As and following the steps outlined in the plan that is attached to my regular post, we had ZERO issues.  We did, in fact, receive the error message that I was concerned about, but we simply continued to follow the procedures (and it did leave the legacy SUP2 in a "powered-dn" state) step-by-step and our 9509s are now running SUP2As and good-to-go!  Okay, hope this helps someone out there on the wire!

Cheers,

Travis