Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring ASA-SSM-10 on ASA 5520

I recently purchased an ASA-SSM-10 form eBay and I'm almost wondering if I received a defect. 

Here is the output of the sh module 2 details (Serial Number Removed):

Card Type: ASA 5500 Series Security Services Module-10
Model: ASA-SSM-10
Hardware version: 1.0
Serial Number:
Firmware version: 1.0(11)5
Software version:
MAC Address Range: 5475.d0e3.b200 to 5475.d0e3.b200
Data Plane Status: Not Applicable

I tried loading the recovery image using the instructions here: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ips/6-0/configuration/guide/cli/cliguide/cliImage.html#wpxref68481

and I get nothing.. Though when I check the status of the module, it's in recovery mode - I don't see any attempts to download the image file from the ftp server. 

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To be clear, did you start with the command below executed from ASA enable mode? 

What happened then?

hw-module module 1 recover configure

Hi Mark, 

Yes, I entered the command form the ASA enable mode and also entered the following:

Image URL

Port IP 

VLAN 0

Gateway IP 

and entered the following command: 

hw-module module 1 recover boot

The TFTP server is accessbile from the ASA and when I check on the module, it's in recovery mode (left it for up to 1 hour)

Did you verify that the tftp server is not being blocked via your host firewall?

I'd check it by putting a small text file in the tftp directory and try to copy it over from the ASA cli. For example:

copy tftp://<PC address>/smallfile.txt disk0:/

I verified that by copying the running config to the TFTP server and vice versa, it works like a charm.

OK, that's good. You have cabled up the Ethernet port on the SSM-10 itself - right?

It uses that to pull down the image and recover itself.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: