Views
Helpful
Replies

Breakout configuration Cisco N5K

ittechk4u1
Level 4
Level 4

As per Cisco information:

In general, a QSFP+ port is meant to be used as a 40G Ethernet port but as it is internally based on 4 x 10G lanes they can in some configurations be splitted in four separate 10G ports.

I am having two slots:

Eth1/1 to Eth1/12 and  Eth2/1 to Eth2/12

out of these 24 ports , few ports are used for interconnection between two Data centers for Redundancy with VPC.

So Now my question is ...If I reconfigure few ports on slot for 4x10G by using breakout command and i use the poweroff module 1 then will it complete shut my slot1 or what will happen because I have many other device connected on other ports on same slot1.Will it impact my othet port connection on same slot!!!!!

N5k(config)# interface breakout slot 1 port 4-6 map 10g-4x
N5k(config)# poweroff module 1
N5k(config)# no poweroff module 1

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

This has to be in range.

switch(config)# interface breakout slot slot port port-range map 10g-4x  

Configures the breakout for an interface.

slot—valid values are 1 to 8.

port-range—valid values are 1-48.

Note   

On Cisco Nexus 56128, you can configure group of two ports. For example, 49-50, 51-52, or 25-26.

On Cisco Nexus 5672UP, you can configure groups of three ports. For example, 1-3, or 4-6.

On Cisco Nexus 5624Q, you can enter groups of three beginning with 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, and 10-12. You can also enter a range that includes a group of three. For example, 1-6 or 4-12. You cannot enter a port-range of 2-4 or 8-10.

Thanks-

Afroz

***Ratings Encourages Contributors ***

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi ,

Yes , it will bring down the other ports as well as we are shutting down the module.

You need to have a MW to perform this task.

Thanks-

Afroz

***Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Thanks Afroj.

One more question: Why this commands ask for range, cant we do the breakout for a single port

N5k(config)# interface breakout slot 1 port 4-6 map 10g-4x - Working

N5k(config)# interface breakout slot 1 port 5 map 10g-4x  - Not working

What should i to do the breakout for single port on N5K?

Hi,

This has to be in range.

switch(config)# interface breakout slot slot port port-range map 10g-4x  

Configures the breakout for an interface.

slot—valid values are 1 to 8.

port-range—valid values are 1-48.

Note   

On Cisco Nexus 56128, you can configure group of two ports. For example, 49-50, 51-52, or 25-26.

On Cisco Nexus 5672UP, you can configure groups of three ports. For example, 1-3, or 4-6.

On Cisco Nexus 5624Q, you can enter groups of three beginning with 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, and 10-12. You can also enter a range that includes a group of three. For example, 1-6 or 4-12. You cannot enter a port-range of 2-4 or 8-10.

Thanks-

Afroz

***Ratings Encourages Contributors ***

Thanks Afroz.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: