Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating redundancy to a provider edge router from a single switch

Process153
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

We recently lost connectivity to our remote sites when an uplink port had its config changed by mistake.  Only took 10 minutes to fix but I dont want it to happen again.  Problem as I see it is there is only one uplink to the edge router from our core switch so if that port on the core switch goes down, we lose internet connectivity.  My solution in the short term was to configure another identical port on the switch but have it shut down.  The port would only be enabled if there was an issue with the primary up link port.  Is there perhaps a better way??? I suppose I could also create a lag group.....

Thanks for your thoughts!

4 Replies 4

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Yes pagp or lacp would be better choice why wait for a link to come up when you can have them bundled 1 fails 1 will still be up  , but some routers don't support that so you will need to check if there is support for etherchannel , if not and it only has basic switch functions you could still have both links up but set the stp on one link to 5000 so it only comes into effect when the primary side fails

does your router have a switching module installed or are you using the standard ports that come with it ?

Hello

Just like to add to marks comments , you may also have the option to use Flex links, Most switch(s) support such a feature and this will indeed allow you to have no active port and one in standby state.

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

Just reading up about flex links! I like the idea of an "active" redundant port.  Examples I have seen include 1 to many switches routers etc but I guess it will still work using gig ports on the same switch to a single router.

Hi Mark,

Just the standard ports.  Its pretty basic.  1GB uplink to the provider router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card