Views
Helpful
Replies

N7K OS Upgrade

zekebashi
Level 4
Level 4

Hello, 

On our production N7K, the current kickstart and system images versions are n7000-s2-kickstart.6.2.12.bin & n7000-s2-dk9.6.2.12.bin. I'd like to upgrade both of them to version 7.3.0.

Can I jump from version 6.2 to version 7.3 without having to perform a sequential upgrades(6.2.14 & 6.2.16)?

Thanks in advance. 

Best, ~zK 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ahmedshoaib
Level 4
Level 4

Hi;

As per upgrade path of Cisco Nexus 7K Upgrade:

For ISSU upgrade for 7.3 the switch should have min. 7.2(1) or 7.2(0) NXOS, while you can upgrade 7.2(0) from 6.2(12)

Means for you need to do multiple upgrade in ISSU scenario 6.2(12) -> 7.2(0) -> 7.3.

Note: before plan any thing please verify your scenario is support ISSU upgrade or not.

If you planing for Non-ISSU / disruptive upgrade then you can directly upgrade 7.3 from 6.2(12) via changing boot sequence of Nexus OS and reload switch.

Please find the detail in below link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/7_x/nx-os/release/notes/7x_nx-os_release_note.html#pgfId-1285078

Thanks & Best regards;

View solution in original post

Hi;

No, need to issue the command multiple time. Per chassis required install all command 1 time & it will automatically upgrade the software on line card and FEX. If you use parallel keyword you can save your time otherwise switch will upgrade software sequential.

One more thing you can do before activity to verify the hardware/software incompatibility or impact (either disruptive/non-disruptive upgrade)

• For hardware incompatibility— sh install all impact system system_name
  • For software incompatibility— show incompatibility-all system image_filename

Thanks & Best regards;

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

ahmedshoaib
Level 4
Level 4

Hi;

As per upgrade path of Cisco Nexus 7K Upgrade:

For ISSU upgrade for 7.3 the switch should have min. 7.2(1) or 7.2(0) NXOS, while you can upgrade 7.2(0) from 6.2(12)

Means for you need to do multiple upgrade in ISSU scenario 6.2(12) -> 7.2(0) -> 7.3.

Note: before plan any thing please verify your scenario is support ISSU upgrade or not.

If you planing for Non-ISSU / disruptive upgrade then you can directly upgrade 7.3 from 6.2(12) via changing boot sequence of Nexus OS and reload switch.

Please find the detail in below link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/7_x/nx-os/release/notes/7x_nx-os_release_note.html#pgfId-1285078

Thanks & Best regards;

Thanks for the info, Ahmed!  That's very helpful. 

So, I can use ISSU 7.2(0)D1(1) to upgrade from 6.2(12) to 7.2(0)D1(1) and, then, I will need to use ISSU 7.3(0)D1(1) to upgrade from 7.2(0)D1(1)  to 7.3(0)D1(1), is that correct? 

Thanks in advance. 

Best, ~zK 

Hi;

Yes.

Before plan a upgrade, please read the ISSU caveats. If you current network don't support ISSU then you can go directly to 7.3(0)D1(1) instead of multiple upgrade.

Thanks & Best regards;

Got it.

I'm planning on using the  sw#:install all kickstart image system image parallel command  on a dual supervisor chassis. The chassis has 8 modules(2 SUPs and 6 line cards)  in addition to 10 FEXs. I reviewed the below document and it states that "Up to three linecards can be upgraded in parallel with this command." Do you know if the parallel command will upgrade all of the line cards and FEXs or I will have to issue the commands several times? 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/6_x/nx-os/upgrade/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_7000_Series_NX-OS_Software_Upgrade_and_Downgrade_Guide_Release_6-x.html 

Best, ~zK 

Hi;

No, need to issue the command multiple time. Per chassis required install all command 1 time & it will automatically upgrade the software on line card and FEX. If you use parallel keyword you can save your time otherwise switch will upgrade software sequential.

One more thing you can do before activity to verify the hardware/software incompatibility or impact (either disruptive/non-disruptive upgrade)

• For hardware incompatibility— sh install all impact system system_name
  • For software incompatibility— show incompatibility-all system image_filename

Thanks & Best regards;

Great! 

Thank you so much for all your help. Much appreciated. 

Best, ~zK 

Hi Ahmed,

I ran the  sh install all impact system bootflash:n7000-s2-dk9.7.2.0.D1.1.bin command and the output states that the two SUPs aren't compatible with the 7.2(0)D1(0) version. The current OS on the chassis is 

BIOS: version 2.12.0
kickstart: version 6.2(12) 

system:    version 6.2(12)

Do you know why the image is incompatible with the SUPs only?

NX7K# sh install all impact system bootflash:n7000-s2-dk9.7.2.0.D1.1.bin
Installer will perform impact only check. Please wait.

Verifying image bootflash:/n7000-s2-kickstart.6.2.12.bin for boot variable "kickstart".
[####################] 100% -- SUCCESS

Verifying image bootflash:/n7000-s2-dk9.7.2.0.D1.1.bin for boot variable "system".

Performing module support checks.

Verifying image type.

Extracting "system" version from image bootflash:/n7000-s2-dk9.7.2.0.D1.1.bin.

Extracting "kickstart" version from image bootflash:/n7000-s2-kickstart.6.2.12.bin.

Extracting "bios" version from image bootflash:/n7000-s2-dk9.7.2.0.D1.1.bin.

Extracting "lc1n7k" version from image bootflash:/n7000-s2-dk9.7.2.0.D1.1.bin.

Extracting "fexth" version from image bootflash:/n7000-s2-dk9.7.2.0.D1.1.bin.

Notifying services about system upgrade.

Compatibility check is done:
Module bootable Impact Install-type Reason
------ -------- -------------- ------------ ------
1 no n/a n/a Incompatible image
2 no n/a n/a Incompatible image
3 yes non-disruptive rolling
4 yes non-disruptive rolling
5 yes non-disruptive rolling
6 yes non-disruptive rolling
7 yes non-disruptive rolling
8 yes non-disruptive rolling
101 yes non-disruptive rolling
102 yes non-disruptive rolling
103 yes non-disruptive rolling
104 yes non-disruptive rolling
105 yes non-disruptive rolling
106 yes non-disruptive rolling
107 yes non-disruptive rolling
108 yes non-disruptive rolling
111 yes non-disruptive rolling
112 yes non-disruptive rolling
113 yes non-disruptive rolling
114 yes non-disruptive rolling
115 yes non-disruptive rolling
116 yes non-disruptive rolling
117 yes non-disruptive rolling
118 yes non-disruptive rolling

Not all components in the image are compatible.
ISSU can't continue

Thanks in advance. 

~zK 

Hi;

I am guessing the error message you received is due to either you have SUP2 and image you download for SUP2E or vise versa. 

Can you verify the supervisor module you have and download the right image (SUP2/SUP2E) and try it again?

As per image name and size both are showing same but Cisco is putting 2 different image on website that's why it's come to my min.

Thanks & Best regards;

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card