cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

choose a device for 30Mb lease line

ronald.su
Level 1
Level 1

Hi , we have a new lease line for HQ and branch office connection recently. I want to choose a device (router/ 3 layer switch/ FW) for the this.

below is the basic info:

1.the line is 30Mb bandwidth.

2. the line is just for branch to connect to HQ office file server and email server. the branch office has 100 peoples will use the line.

3. branch office colleague will open the file (word/ excel) on the file server directly. most of the files's size are around 1MB~2MB

4. the mail server is on HQ.

5. HQ office colleague would NOT use the line.

so, i wanna to know should i choose router or 3 layer switch? and which modle should i choose.

Ronald.Su

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the budget for this?

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the budget for this?

ronald.su
Level 1
Level 1

2 devices (HQ and branch). each deive around 1.5K USD

each deive around 1.5K USD

I don't think there is a Cisco router that can push 30 Mbps for a measly price of US$1,500.  Not even refurbished ones.  

does the C2921/k9 can handle the traffic? and how about C3750X if i choose 3layer switch?

BTW, the company i worked before had a C2901 to handle the 100Mb ADSL traffic, it seems ok...

does the C2921/k9 can handle the traffic?

Yes, 2921 is more than "sufficient".   A 1941 would be able to handle 30 Mbps. 

and how about C3750X if i choose 3layer switch?

Will there be NAT-ing involved?

do i get wrong? you mean 1.5K USD is not enough for a device which could handle 30Mb line. BUT 2921 just a around 1.5 K USD in my country....and you said 2921 is more than "sufficient". ....confused....

No NAT involved, honestly, i perfer 3layer switch if switch can handle,  be coz others port can use as 2 layer port....

the budget is no more then 2K USD....

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card