Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking for a solution advise for office campus

feizycits
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are looking for a solution advise for a 120 user company. I read up on the Cisco Nexus 5000 series and the Nexus 2000 fabric extenders and wanted to see what model and if this configuration would be good for us.

PORT COUNT-625 - DATA/VOICE/CAMERA/WAP

Thanks

Ron

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I have been looking on a design with the 3850 in a stack as the backbone and 3650 in a Layer 3 access. They all have nBase-T ports for wireless and the new UADP ASIC, and 10gbit ports for uplink.

Maybe that could be the same path you need to follow, depending on you feature requirements.

View solution in original post

I agree with the others, the Nexus line is DC switches and they do not support some campus feautres.

Maybe the 6800 would be a good solution as well. With the Instant Access features.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/enterprise-networks/catalyst-instant-access-solution/index.html

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

For just 120 users, have you also looked at the stackable switches or the Catalyst line too?  The Nexus series is more oriented toward data center usage while Cisco's stackable and Catalyst series are for more general business usage.

Joseph,

Today we have 3750x in stack mode for L3 and then 2960x for the LAN traffic, was wanting to ensure that going to the new location we have a solid network.

What would you suggest in Catalyst line? I was looking at N5K series because it provides 10G backbone and redundant path.

Thanks

I have been looking on a design with the 3850 in a stack as the backbone and 3650 in a Layer 3 access. They all have nBase-T ports for wireless and the new UADP ASIC, and 10gbit ports for uplink.

Maybe that could be the same path you need to follow, depending on you feature requirements.

Cool, let me look into the option you have suggested. Thanks

I was looking at N5K series because it provides 10G backbone and redundant path.

Nexus family of switches are designed primarily for DC work.  Nexus family switches ain't designed for printers and PC work.  There is no PoE support.  

What is the budget to do this job?

I agree with the others, the Nexus line is DC switches and they do not support some campus feautres.

Maybe the 6800 would be a good solution as well. With the Instant Access features.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/enterprise-networks/catalyst-instant-access-solution/index.html

So, I guess because Nexus family is not a POE it would work in my design as I will need them for VOIP phones and WAP. I will look into the catalyst series and see what that leads me to.

Thanks

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

120 users but 625 ports right?

We are looking for a solution advise for a 120 user company.

PORT COUNT-625

Although a Nexus would probably work, its not the ideal switch to use,

You could end up with 14x 48 port switches if you genuinely need 625 ports.

Do all ports come back to the same location?

Well the break down of the ports are as such

200 ports - 100 users each cubicle will have two ports (voice/data) for redundancy.

120 ports - 60 WAP for POE ports, again redundancy built in

75  ports - 75 ports no redundancy for Camera

40 ports - 20 ports for printers again redundancy

20 ports - 10 conference rooms.

This totals up to 455 ports. I was going with an estimate of 625 for any growth for future expansion.

Do all ports come back to the same location?

No, we will have four IDF location which includes one server room. because of the distance requirements it will be split using 4 IDF locations.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card