Views
Helpful
Replies

port channel and spanning tree on nexus 5000 switch

Enrico Rinero
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a couples of Cisco Nexus 5000 switches connected client side with a couple of 7613 routers (with four different vlans, for example) working in active active mode; Cisco 7613 routers are not running spanning tree and work as a layer 3 device.

Server side, Nexus are connected to a couple of load balancers, LB working in active backup mode, and they are not running spanning tree too.

Nexus Switches are configured as layer 2 devices, working in active active mode.

Is not a full mesh topology: 7613-1  to / from nexus-1; nexus-1  to / from load balancer 1.

7613-2 to / from nexus-2; nexus 2 to / from load balancer-2.

I configure a back to back interface between nexus 1 and nexus 2 with a port channel, two physical links and 4 vlans per link. Do I need running spanning tree between these back to back link or I can avoid spanning tree at all? Note that the same vlans are configured in the port channel interface from nexus to 7613-1 and 7613-2, but not in the interlink/port channel between the two 7613 routers; and from nexus to the load balancer, but not in the interlink between the two load balancers.

Best Regards.

2 Replies 2

cwhite0013
Level 1
Level 1

So, it sounds like the only layer 2 connection between switches is the port-channel between nexus-1 and nexus-2. Spanning-tree is only going to be active on the virtual port-channel interface and won't block any ports since there is no loop. So, technically, in this case, you don't NEED spanning-tree because there is no loop but I'd STRONGLY recommend leaving it enabled encase someone accidentally causes a loop or if something happens to the LACP process (unlikely but possible), the two physical ports wont cause a loop. 

Hi I attach this architecture.

So you think could be useful activating spanning tree between back to back link Switch 1 - Switch 2, even if this is a Port Channel so is considered as a single link?

I have not activated spanning tree processes citrix side or cisco 7613 side.

Best Regards, Enrico Rinero

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card