cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SMTP settings

usuee
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to set up the SMTP setting in the collector.  The problem I have is that it wants a valid email address and password.  None of the other devices that I have, ie Solarwind, needs a valid email address and password.  I can supply my email address and get past that part, but I don't want to put in my password.  Our relay server does not require this information. Is there a way to NOT put in a valid email address and password?

For my Solarwinds server I use the made up email of solarwinds@company.com with no password and it works fine with our email server.

9 Replies 9

Lynden Price
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

SMTP isn't required for any collector functions. If you mean for the user creation, you can just leave those fields blank.

Thanks,

Lynden

This came about when I tried to set up the autoupdate with a notify config.  The collector said I had to set up smtp.  So I tried to do that from the cli.  The cli command will not allow you to skip the email address and password. I did set smtp up from the web interface and skipped the password.  Then went back to the cli to set up autoupdate.  It still said I had to set up smtp and I ran into the same issue again.

What is the format of the command(s) that you are entering on the CLI?

config auto Mon 9:00 AM notify <email address>

This says the SMTP is not configured so I entered

config SMTP

enter the address of my mail server

enter the port 25

enter the email address: csps@company.com

enter the password: <just hit enter>

Invalid input - exiting the configuration

Could you run the "show version" command and show the output?

build-name: SNTC CSPC 2.6.1

version: sp-2.0.5-0-0-lnx64

bump, still looking for a fix for this issue.

There doesn't seem to be any way around it. Could you set up a new email address/password on the SMTP server just for the collector to send notifications to? It just needs to be able to authenticate the email when first setting it up, then you should be able to delete it.

Did you give up?