Helpful
Replies

cp-8851 upload configuration

asaf.shmuel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,
I am trying to upload SEP{MAC}.cnf.xml file to an updated third-party cp-8851

I know I need to configure option 150 and point it to my TFTP server - but the phone is ignoring this and does not connect to the TFTP for the configuration

The only way I communicate with the TFTP is through provisioning (which I used to upgrade to the latest firmware)

What am I doing wrong?

Asaf

15 Replies 15

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What am I doing wrong?

1.  Factory-default the phone? 

2.  Did the phone get a valid IP address?  Can the TFTP server ping the phone's IP address?

3.  On the phone logs, what are the error message?

Thanks for the fast reply

1. How do I factory-default the phone?

2. The phone is able to communicate with the TFTP server - This is how I upgraded the firmware

3. No error on the phone logs or the TFTP server - Seems like it does not request the SEP{mac}.cnf.xml file at all

3. No error on the phone logs or the TFTP server - Seems like it does not request the SEP{mac}.cnf.xml file at all

The phone needs to be factory-reset in order for the phone to start requesting for the SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml.

The procedure to factory-reset the phone is:

1. Press "#" when you power on the phone
2. You will see the headset,speaker and mute will light on and then light off.
3. When you see only headset and speaker turn on again, please press 123456789*0# in sequence.
4. After you pressed the the first digit "1", you will see speaker turn off.
5. After all the number are input completely in sequence, you will see Mute button turns on to indicate phone begin to do the factory reset.

Don't forget to appropriately rate useful posts.  

I have managed to factory reset it but it is the same

Seems like it is try to provision (I got the same error while provisioning is on)

The TFTP server log is

Connection received from 192.168.11.14 on port 50935 [18/10 14:19:58.475]
Read request for file <8851-3PCC.xml>. Mode octet [18/10 14:19:58.477]
File <8851-3PCC.xml> : error 2 in system call CreateFile The system cannot find the file specified. [18/10 14:19:58.478]
Connection received from 192.168.11.14 on port 51758 [18/10 14:19:58.500]
Read request for file <Cisco/CP-8851-3PCC/0041d2f9d792.cfg>. Mode octet [18/10 14:19:58.501]
File <Cisco\CP-8851-3PCC\0041d2f9d792.cfg> : error 2 in system call CreateFile The system cannot find the file specified. [18/10 14:19:58.502]
Connection received from 192.168.11.14 on port 50998 [18/10 14:19:58.530]
Read request for file <8851-3PCC.xml>. Mode octet [18/10 14:19:58.531]
File <8851-3PCC.xml> : error 2 in system call CreateFile The system cannot find the file specified. [18/10 14:19:58.531]
Connection received from 192.168.11.14 on port 52581 [18/10 14:19:58.549]
Read request for file <Cisco/CP-8851-3PCC/0041d2f9d792.cfg>. Mode octet [18/10 14:19:58.550]
File <Cisco\CP-8851-3PCC\0041d2f9d792.cfg> : error 2 in system call CreateFile The system cannot find the file specified. [18/10 14:19:58.550]

Read request for file <Cisco/CP-8851-3PCC/0041d2f9d792.cfg>

WTF!

What exact firmware was uploaded to the phone?  3PCC or SIP?  

Try uploading the SIP firmware.

I am using 3pcc firmware since I am working against Asterisk PBX and not CUCM

The phone is able to register and work fine

I just need to fine tune a few settings that are not available through the web gui - aka line BLF, dial tone etc.

I am using 3pcc firmware since I am working against Asterisk PBX

I know what you're trying to accomplish.  I have a working Asterisk (Raspberry Pi) system working at home and I never use 3PCC firmware.  

Downgrade to SIP because it's easier (for me) to troubleshoot what is going on.

File <Cisco\CP-8851-3PCC\0041d2f9d792.cfg> : error 2 in system call CreateFile The system cannot find the file specified.

This error message alone tells me 3PCC and SIP firmware behaves differently.  This error message tells me the phone is looking for a filename called MACADDRESS.cfg (instead of the SIP method of SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml).  This is the reason why the phone isn't downloading the correct configuration file.

Can you guide me which firmware file should I install?

It is half past midnight here so I will give it a try first thing in the morning

Hope that the sip firmware will be able to work correctly against Asterisk

My 7970 is running 9.4(2)SR1.  Try that. 

I am unable to change the firmware from 3ccp to sip...

The phone is downloading the files but not changing the firmware

File <Cisco\CP-8851-3PCC\0041d2f9d792.cfg> : error 2 in system call CreateFile The system cannot find the file specified.

Copy the SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml to 0041d2f9d792.cfg. 

ADAM CRISP
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Login in to the phone's web interface.

Select admin and then advanced

select the provisioning tab

In the profile rule, fill in where to find your provisioning server

click submit all changes -> phone will resync with your provisioning server.

But I haven't yet come across any parameter that's not configurable from the web interface.

For BLF - again, admin/advanced - phone tab

and the configuration is not that different to the SPA phones.

If you don't have the box available to fill in the fnc=blf+cp+sd -> then upgrade the firmware. (to the latest available 3pcc image)

Please do not upgrade our your phone to the enterprise version. You do not want this for your Asterisk machine and it's a one way move. Don't do it else you'll need to but a new phone.(or call manager)

Adam

Hi,

Thank you for you comment

I am using the latest version

I am trying to configure the spare line keys as BLF

(the client needs on 3 keys)

There is an option to configure extension unit but this is not what I am trying to achieve

Asaf

OK,

1. Search for 3pcc administration guide, failing that there SPA one is good too.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/csbpipp/ip_phones/administration/guide/frame_source/500-series-7-5-7/ip_phone_admin/2_linesandextensions.html

You need to configure on the Phone tab - extended function box for the button you want;

fnc= something; where something is SP (speeddial), CP (Call pickup) and BLF (presence)

eg. fnc=blf+cp+sd;

2. You then need to pass parameters to those functions

SUB = Subscribe address for the presence (BLF)

This will start the subscribe/notify sip messages

EXT = the number you want to dial for the speed-dial for that contact

NME = display name that appears on the LCD screen

You can also refer to other configuration parameters - eg $PROXY  means the configured proxy server on ext0;

So an example could be:

fnc=blf+cp+sd;sub=my-user-i-want-to-subscribe-to@$PROXY;ext=12345@$PROXY;nme=My Users name;

or even using sip-uri's

fnc=blf+cp+sd;sub=julie.cox+voip.co.uk@$PROXY;ext=julie.cox+voip.co.uk@$PROXY;nme=Julie C;

For Call pickup, you must also configure the SIP Server type; and pickup code

look on ext0 - sip server type. Metaswitch is the same as the SPA RFC version.

look on "att console" and set the Call pickup code to the string that matches what the pbx is wanting.

If you don't have the extended function box, then you need newer firmware.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: