Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042G Gateway To Gateway VPN Bandwidth Seems too small

David G
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.

I have two identical RV042G routers.  Site A has 100Mbs up and down internet, and Site B has 60Mbs down and 12 up.  They are both 'up-to' services, not a dedicated pipe.

I have setup Gateway to Gateway VPN between both, with Site A being the main office.  I want to be able to do backups to the Site B NAS from the site A backup services, NAS, etc.

I have it working, but am finding a simple copy and paste to the Site B from Site A is slow.  I am getting somewhere between 3Mbs and 5Mbs, nothing more.  I think there is something wrong, but I cannot tell from anything I read anywhere else what it may be, or if my config is wrong, etc.  Called Cisco support, but there is no warranty on routers.

I realize there is overhead and other things, but I was expecting much better bandwidth rates then 5Mbs on 100Mbs server to a 60Mbs service.  What am I missing here, or are the RV042G just not good enough?

Attached is the current config on both routers. I have Tried the Aggressive Mode and Compress in Advanced, same results.

Any direction would be very appreciated.

DG

7 Replies 7

David G
Level 1
Level 1

Hello out there - is there NO one that can comment on this?

DG

I have same problem, Gateway to Gateway, 2 RV042G and on a 150Mbps Up/Dn on site A and B, both sides only get only about 2.5MB/s (20Mbps) ????? IF the Service providers Limiting Bandwidth or these routers are just junk, Unless there are some settings ? Standard settings, Tried all different settings and no improvement or slower.  

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-reviews/31826-cisco-rv042g-dual-gigabit-wan-vpn-router-reviewed?start=1

20Mbps is nowhere near 60 Mbps through an AES 256

Anyone got some input ???

HMM LOOKS LIKE CISCO IS GOING DOWN THE TOILET NO RESPONSE NO SUPPORT FROM CISCO WHAT A BUMMER - DISAPOITMENT, WHEN REPLACING EQUIPMENT WILL MAKE SURE NOT TO BUY CISCO PRODUCTS ANYMORE

I can't comment on your configuration's performance, but I can confirm that a PPTP link to one of my client's 15Mb up cable connections mirrors the PPTP results (~12Mb) from the Smallnetworkbuilder.com review linked below, on copy tests using Totusoft's LAN Speed Test utility.

I probably be migrating the Equipment to Zyxel as Cisco's speeds are nowhere as advertised and better equipment requires subscription. As a recent Internet speed upgrade of 500/500Mbps between 2 sites will need new hardware to support these VPN speeds. So far no help from cisco.

http://www.zyxel.com/us/en/products_services/zywall_1100_310_110.shtml?t=p#productDetailTab3

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-reviews/32283-zyxel-zywall-110-vpn-firewall-reviewed?start=3

santsha3
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi David,

Thank you for writing.

Please check the MTU value on both the routers, if it is on auto settings , make it lower for example set it up to 1472. Disable SPI under firewall settings and verify the speed. If possible please check the real time downloading and uploading speed on both the sides.

I know this is old, but I did as asked - changed MTU to both 1472 and turned off SPI, but very little change.

DG

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: