cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help with VLans, subinterfaces, and NAT on 5506-X

adam.stadnick
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone. I've been wrestling with this for a while and I'm out of ideas.

I have a virtual machine that is intended to be a web-facing server. It is segregated on its own VLan, which is handled by a Cisco 2960XR Layer 3 switch. The traffic is sent to a subinterface on our 5506-X firewall.

VM -> Layer 3 switch -> ASA subinterface -> ASA 'inside' interface -> Traffic stops here -> Outside interface

I can ping back and forth from the VM to the subinterface IP as well as the 'master' inside interface IP with no problems, however I can't get the server to talk outside at all. However traffic on the primary network (native VLAN) can access the Internet fine.

I have been reading conflicting documentation and forum threads for over a day now so I'm beyond confused.

To start with, I need help getting this VM to talk to the Internet. Afterwards I may need help getting inbound traffic pointed at the VM, although I think I can handle that part.

Here are my NAT config lines including the NAT for our site to site VPN over two ISP links:

nat (inside,outside) source static Site1-inside Site1-inside destination static vpn vpn no-proxy-arp route-lookup
nat (inside,outside2-Comcast) source static Site1-inside Site1-inside destination static Site2-Inside Site2-Inside no-proxy-arp route-lookup
nat (inside,outside2-Comcast) source static Site1-inside Site1-inside destination static vpn vpn no-proxy-arp route-lookup
nat (inside,outside) source static Site1-inside Site1-inside destination static Site2-Inside Site2-Inside no-proxy-arp route-lookup
!
object network obj_any
 nat (any,outside) dynamic interface
object network obj_any2
 nat (any,outside2-Comcast) dynamic interface

I don't believe this is a security issue as I am running into the spectacularly unhelpful 'routing failed to locate next hop' error if I try to ping out:

6 Nov 21 2016 16:20:11 110003 8.8.8.8 0 IPOFVMONVLAN 1 Routing failed to locate next hop for ICMP from outside2-Comcast:8.8.8.8/0 to inside:IPOFVMONVLAN/1

And again pinging out on the main interface works fine, and ICMP inspection is on.

I have deleted my NAT statements pertaining to this VLAN as I no longer have any idea what I had that was good and what was bad. My last attempt was:

nat (VL0254,outside2-Comcast) static obj_any

(obj_any is 0.0.0.0 with a mask of 0.0.0.0)

I also tried several other variations, including specifying the VM's IP directly and specifying 8.8.8.8 directly but still can't get it to work. I have also tried route-lookup on each variation with no change.

I would appreciate any help, and if you're feeling REALLY nice also an explanation of what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

adam.stadnick
Level 1
Level 1

Figured it out with some help. I overcomplicated things quite a bit. Moved the VL interface to a dedicated port and set that IP as the gateway on the VM and everything's working now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card