cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to clear Activate Status on firmware?

spphelpdesk
Level 1
Level 1

I was in the process of upgrading our UCS Mini to 3.1(2c) where our rack mountable C240 server upgraded the Board Controller from 21.0 to 24.0.

That was successful but it then proceeded to error with CPU in-operable.  The update was successful to Board Controller to 24.0 but I assumed it was the error so I tried to go back to 21.0 and that update failed.

Thus, I see in the Activate Status for the Board Controller as "failed" which was true when I tried to go from 24.0 to 21.0 but after I disconnected the C240 from the UCS it came back online fine with its CPU's and the server is fine with its firmware updated all ok and the Board Controller is ok at 24.0.

But there is a warning in the UCS Manager indicating the Activate Status for the server is set to failed.  I have acknowledged the fault but it stays and in the Equipment tab view the green box round the server still exists.  The failed is reference to me trying to go back to 21.0 from 24.0.

So how can I clear the Activate Status for my C240 rack server when it says failed even though everything is ok?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks, can you provide a screen capture and confirm what you mean by "flag is still set"

Typically, the force option will clear the fault unless their is a host firmware package in use. Can you confirm this as well?

Otherwise, the decom/re-ack should clear it as well.

-Wes

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

A few things to try, first I would attempt to "force" activate the board controller on that server. If the service profile on the server is tied to a Host Firmware Package, it might not allow you to conduct this and you need to remove the HFP or set it to not reference a C-Series Rack bundle.

If this does not work, you may be able to decommission and re-acknowledge the blade to clear this status.

HTH,

Wes

Problem is the latest version, 24.0 is on and running, forcing it to re-apply the update does nothing because naturally it is the same version running that I'm forcing to update.

Hello,

You are correct, but if the goal is to clear the failed status, when you apply the force option, it should re-poll, realize the version is correct and set the status to ready.

Please update with the results or if you face further problems.

HTH,

Wes

Forcing it does nothing...flag is still set.

Thanks, can you provide a screen capture and confirm what you mean by "flag is still set"

Typically, the force option will clear the fault unless their is a host firmware package in use. Can you confirm this as well?

Otherwise, the decom/re-ack should clear it as well.

-Wes

The HTML version of UCS was not doing anything with the force but went in the Java way and did an Activate Firmware and forced the same version on it and this time it cleared the flag!

Thanks!

Interesting, thank you for the update. Please mark the answer as correct so others can find it quickly in the future!

Have a good day.

-Wes

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card