cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing 3750 Switch in Stack

mramirez-t
Level 1
Level 1

I have a stack of 5x24-port 3750s.  2 of them are non POE and I have 2 spare 24 port 3750s that are POE so we want to swap the non POE out of the stack and put in the 2 POEs in their place.  I read through the following website:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/71925-cat3750-create-switch-stks.html#stack3

I am good now with what to do in terms of cabling and provisioning the switch so it joins as a slave.  But I'm a little unclear about the configuration part...

The 2 that are being replaced are switch 2 and 3.  When I remove them and put in the two POE switches, do the running configs of the existing switch 2 and 3 automatically become the running config of the new POE switches?  The two POEs that are going in have been wiped out back to factory defaults and the firmware upgrades done so they match the firmware versions of the existing stacked switches.  So, right now, the two POEs would be going in as a blank slate and the only thing I was planning on doing was setting the priority.  But, in terms of the running config of switch 2 and 3 right now, what do I need to do?

Any help much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

But, in terms of the running config of switch 2 and 3 right now, what do I need to do?

Besides the priority setting, you don't need to do anything else to the config.

Once you insert the new blank switches to the stack, the config from the master will be synced to these new switches.

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

But, in terms of the running config of switch 2 and 3 right now, what do I need to do?

Besides the priority setting, you don't need to do anything else to the config.

Once you insert the new blank switches to the stack, the config from the master will be synced to these new switches.

HTH

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm not 100% positive, but non-PoE vs. PoE might be seen as "different" models when added to the stack, and if so, they will not obtain the former member switch's configuration settings.

However, as a member switch basically only needs its ports configured, it's usually relatively simple to copy the port configurations for the member switch to be removed and re-apply, if necessary, to the replacement switch.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card