Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IM and Presence : intercluster peering

Hi all, 

I am not sure I am posting this in the correct forum, please let me know if I should post this somewhere else:

For IMP deployment, what does this "DNS Domain and Default Domain Requirements" mean exactly: 

• For inter-cluster IM and Presence Service deployments, it is required that each IM and Presence Service cluster shares the same underlying DNS domain.

• The DNS domain associated with any client devices should map to the IM and Presence Service DNS domain.

• Ensure that the DNS domain aligns with the IM and Presence Service default domain.
    The IM and Presence Service default domain value is set to the DNS domain by default during installation. You can not change the IM and Presence Service default domain during installation. To change the default domain to a value that is different from the DNS domain, you must use the Cisco Unified CM IM and Presence Administration GUI.

Goal is: I have a CUCM/IMP cluster in US, and a CUCM/IMP cluster in EU and users in EU must be able to see presence and chat of users in US and vice versa. Therefore, I plan to to setup IMP intercluster peering

1. Does this mean I need to configure the FQDN of all IMP nodes of both clusters in the same DNS domain: "example.com" - so the following FQDN (> can be done if so):

usnode1.example.com

usnode2.example.com

eunode1.example.com

eunode2.example.com

2. Does this mean that the IM and Presence Service DNS domain MUST  be "example.com" in both US and EU ?

I have an issue with that: I want to do MRA and cannot use GeoDNS. Therefore, I was planning to use 2 different IM and Presence Service DNS domains : "us.example.com" and "eu.example.com", so the external DNSs can resolve the Jabber "_colloab-edge" SRV request to the correct Eway-E (resp. towards the US and the EU edge servers, depending the requesting Jabber client). But that means I cannot "Ensure that the DNS domain aligns with the IM and Presence Service default domain" 

Is that an issue to deploy intercluster peering? 

Any help is much appreciated

8 Replies 8

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, that would be an issue, because then they're not in the same domain and you cannot configure intercluster peer between them.

You'd need to configure a federation between them.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jaime,

appreciate your answer.

Plan was to enable the IMP multi domain feature and configuring all XMPP domains across both clusters so they are known on both sides. From PDI/Cisco heard that would be supported.

Enabling multidomain on IMP means "directoryURI" as addressing scheme.

But, and my other question raised on the forum (you also responded) was not so clear:

Directory URI requires UDS or EDI, and EDI is not supported by iOS. UDS does not seem the right way to do this however (load, seperate webserver for photo, need to imports ALL users on both clusters in order to be able to search for them

EDI is ONLY for J4W, all other clients, use BDI.

HTH

java

yep - so that forces UDS. or rules out iOS (not gonna happen)...

why o why does multidomain not support BDI... always something coming up when digging... any idea what the best channel would be to could ask if multidomain/BDI is on the roadmap?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/jabber-windows/118999-config-imaddress-jabber-00.html

HTH

java

thx- but not sure why you sent this link ? enabled multidomain today and took note of the jabber-properties settings, so that's OK. But I was hoping not to have to go to UDS (next to being able to do IMP intercluster peering with seperate IMP domains). with iOS that does not seem to be possible in this scenario - perhaps it is on the roadmap

... because it shows that you can use multi domain with BDI, EDI and UDS...

HTH

java

hi Jaime, multidomain is enabled through directory URI, which requires EDI or UDS. So that leaves out BDI

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: