Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference Between Interface Cards

Anand Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can anyone describe the differences between the following interface cards as VWIC,WIC,HWIC and EHWIC?

8 Replies 8

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

vwic voice wan interface card to support voice services such as ISDN , FXO FXS

wic standard wan interface card like serial interfaces for data traffic

hwic high speed LAN switch module for a router , adds switching functions o the router

ehwic same thing as hwic just an enhanced version of hwic , the newer type , used in ISRG2 routers  

Thanks Mark,

Could you please elaborate the same or share a document/link for the same.

if you want specific detail on what each wic does you need to access there data sheets online

to do this get the full part name like VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 put it into Google with datasheet it will pull up the specific info

VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 data sheet

so when I did it for that vwic I go the below which gives all the details regarding that specific vwic , you need to specify the actual part to get the info as there is diff sheets for every type and there is quite a few different types

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/3800-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/datasheet-c78-733859.html

Is there any difference from speed, bandwidth and throughput prospect?

Yes there is the EHWIC would be a higher speed than the HWIC but it depends on what type of card it is what platform it is in to know the actual throughput of it , as the link I provided in last post shows the throughput for those specific cards but as you see E1 nd T1would be different as there different line types in US an EU , generally voice wics have same throughput depending on the line but the variations of the type of vwic base on where and what it can be used on

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/high-speed-wan-interface-cards/qa_c67-660125.html

Q. What is the maximum throughput on the Gigabit Ethernet EHWIC?

A. The maximum theoretical throughput for the EHWIC-1GE-SFP-CU is 800 Mbps. Actual performance is based on the router's CPU and is dependent on the router model.

Hi Mark,

Yeah, it looks simple, but if I look at the HWIC for routers, I can't find any additional LAN ports. And I have read that these HWICs and eHWICs have more additional ports. Now - I saw some double eHWICs. OK, they had 8 LAN ports but no serial port. How do they connect to the WAN?

Can somebody answer me?

It would be helpful for many of us.

Thank you in advance.

Adriana

"How do they connect to the WAN?"

Through the router (to another module with a serial port), itself, unless, perhaps, your "WAN" connection is on the same module and it's a L3 switch module.

Understand, having an "excess" of LAN ports, on a small router, is basically to avoid the need of also having a small standalone switch.  So, just as you might have a small router with a single Ethernet port connecting to a small switch, internally, the router connects to a small switch module.  If both cases, the small router often doesn't have the capacity to even support the throughput of a single gig port, and probably for that reason, often the router modules themselves don't have an "internal" module connection that supports gig bandwidth.

Hi Guys, Can i Use EHWIC-4ESG for WAN Redundancy on Cisco 1941 Router Cause i already configured G0/0 For my Main WAN Connection and G0/1 for my LAN but i need a redundant WAN From my ISP and they asked for two WAN Ports?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card