Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MST in VTP Server mode 6509 Platform migration to nexus vPC

Hi Team,

I'm migrating from 6509 Core to Nexus 7K in VPC mode.Below steps are followed.

1)Make nexus vtp client by making vtp transparent first.
2)Connect up link to Nexus 7k from 6509
3)Once all the Access switches are migrated from 6509 to nexus ,Then move all the gateways to Nexus.

Currently 6509 are not in VSS mode and in VTP Server mode ,Hence connected ACCESS switches are just having dual up-link and not configured in port channel.Once i move to Nexus the access switches will be configured in port channel  using Vpc.Should MST be retained or should i move Rpvst+.Diagram for reference has been attached.

MST CONFIG BELOW.

6509 01 MST CONFIG:-

spanning-tree mode mst
spanning-tree portfast edge default
spanning-tree portfast edge bpduguard default
spanning-tree portfast edge bpdufilter default
!
spanning-tree mst configuration
 name ABC
 revision 5
 instance 1 vlan 1-300
 instance 2 vlan 301-1024
!    
spanning-tree mst 0-1 priority 4096
spanning-tree mst 2 priority 28672

6509 02 MST CONFIG:-

spanning-tree mode mst
spanning-tree portfast edge default
spanning-tree portfast edge bpduguard default
spanning-tree portfast edge bpdufilter default
!
 name ABC
 revision 5
 instance 1 vlan 1-300
 instance 2 vlan 301-1024
!
spanning-tree mst 0-1 priority 28672
spanning-tree mst 2 priority 4096

ACCESS SWITCH CONFIG:-

spanning-tree mode mst
spanning-tree portfast default
spanning-tree portfast bpduguard default
spanning-tree extend system-id
!
 name ABC
 revision 5
 instance 1 vlan 1-300
 instance 2 vlan 301-1024
!

2 Replies 2

Hello

I havnt worked a lot with nexus to be honest but given it compatibility with iOS stp (802.1s mst)  you shouldn't have not a lot of heart ache as in "theory" your just attaching another "switch" provisionally as a mst client

Prior to attaching the nexus I would defiantly define the mst region etc on it and also all it's stp port types And assuming your running vtp2 on the network also suggest reverting the vtp revision number to 0 prior to attaching and let the existing vtp core propergate the vlan database and then once thats completed revert the nexus to transparent 

note vtp3. - allows the mst region to be sync to all switches in its vtp domain thus its mst config is shared automatically. Thus it provides a more secure way of negating the vtp database from being over wrote .

The interconnect between the 6500 and the nexus will be aggregated if not I would advise not to manually prune with mst as you would want both msti's to work accordingly.

I would say then once all the access switches and l3 has been migrated you can change the mst root 

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the feedbak,Below need clarity.

1)If MST is retained on Nexus will it enhance throughput since i will be using portchannel on the migrated access switches and existing switches are dual homed i.e, no portchannel.

2)On nexus why  to revert VTP  to transparent after making it client.

3)which one is better MST or rpvst+ when there is portchannel being used.