cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

891F router and SG500-28p switch

elvisdl68
Level 1
Level 1

error message on cisco router 891f while trying to assign a private IP to a gig port.

% ip address may not be configured on l2 links

How can I create a subnet to support LAN portion using the Gig port?

2 Replies 2

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

I am guessing you are trying to use one of the 8x switchports that exist on this Router?

These are Layer 2 ports only, i.e they can be Access Ports in a single Vlan or a Dot1Q trunk to a downstream switch supporting multiple Vlans.

IP addresses can only be configured on a Layer 3 port.

Your only real option to use these ports is to create a Layer 3 SVI for each Vlan/subnet you want and then use the L2 ports as designed.

So effectively, if you wanted to create Vlan 50 with an IP address of 192.168.50.1/24, you would do:

!
vlan database
vlan 50 name xxxx
exit
!

This would create the Vlan

Then

!
interface vlan 50
description xxxx
ip address 192.168.50.1 255.255.255.0
no shut
!

This would create your virtual Layer 3 port (SVI) and you would then need to provision your Layer 2 ports to support it.

If you have a switch that is going to be connecting to the router, you will probably need to configure the Router port as a dot1q trunk as below:

!
interface gi1
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport mode trunk
description Downlink to Switch
!

Obviously you switch needs Vlan 50 creating and a Trunk ports towards the router.

If you are just plugging in hosts (PCs/Laptops/Printers) directly to the Router, you can create an access port for each host in Vlan 50.

!
interface gi1
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 50
description Printer
!

You can create more than just vlan 50, this is just a single example.

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much for your help, it works fine. Appreciate your help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card