Views
Helpful
Replies

Restricting specific source from registering with the RP

Umesh Shetty
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I wanted to know if using the command ip pim rp-address x.x.x.x access-list  on the RP can we restrict which source can register with this RP. Most documents speak about configuring the group address for which the RP should be but can an extended ACL be called to even restrict the source from where this group traffic can be received ?

1 Reply 1

Hello

I dont think it can, that command is used with an acl is to define static pim so that IP will be the RP for specific MC groups

I think it can be negated by not having an interface PIM enabled and not statically applying the pim rp address, and If your using auto-rp then you can deifne a MC Scope or boundary.

Example:
R1<----5hops--->R6 ( R6 not to receive any Rp messages)

ip pim send-rp-discovery <interface) scope 4

or

R5
access-list 10 deny 224.0.1.40
access-list 10 permit any

int x/x
description link to R6
ip mulitcast boundary 10

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: