Views
Helpful
Replies

policy-map bandwidth change

bpainter
Level 1
Level 1

Hello -

We have two WAN 4600 series routers that have policies that limit the bandwidth to 10mb/s.  I need the policies changed to match our new speed of 50.  There's voice and data over the WAN with the below policies.  Could someone please give me the command syntax for changing the policy-map to 50?  Is it as simple as running:

Router(config)# policy-map METRO-10
Router(config-pmap)# bandwidth 52428800

Is it in bits/s or can I use mb?

class-map match-any VOICE
 match ip dscp ef
 match ip rtp 16384 16383
 match ip precedence 5
class-map match-any VOICE-CTRL
 match ip dscp af31
 match ip dscp cs3
 match access-group name QOS_callcontrol
!
policy-map METRO-PRIVATE
 class VOICE
  priority 512
 class VOICE-CTRL
  bandwidth 12
 class class-default
  fair-queue
policy-map METRO-10
 class class-default
  shape average 10000000
   service-policy METRO-PRIVATE

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0
 description Connection to METRO-PRIVATE
 bandwidth 10000
 ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

no ip redirects
 speed 100
 no negotiation auto
 service-policy output METRO-10

Thanks,

bp

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, it's not that, but you're close.

What you need to do is:

policy-map METRO-10
 class class-default
  shape average 50000000

However, you might want to rename the policy to METRO-50 and you might want to change the bandwidth settings in the child policy, METRO-PRIVATE, to take advantage of the additional bandwidth.

You'll also probably should change the bandwidth setting, on the egress interface, to reflect the increased bandwidth too.

Lastly, I cannot say how a 4600 works, but on many other Cisco platforms, shapers, I believe, only account for L3 bandwidth, but providers often provide bandwidth as L2 bandwidth.  If your shaper doesn't account for L2 overhead, I've found using a shaped value about 15% less usually accounts for average L2 overhead.  (NB: insuring the shaper isn't allowing more bandwidth usage than available, is especially important when supporting VoIP.  Also when when using QoS that supports VoIP, you might want to decrease the egress interface tx queue size.)

PS:

BTW, match IP prec 5 will also match IP DSCP EF.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, it's not that, but you're close.

What you need to do is:

policy-map METRO-10
 class class-default
  shape average 50000000

However, you might want to rename the policy to METRO-50 and you might want to change the bandwidth settings in the child policy, METRO-PRIVATE, to take advantage of the additional bandwidth.

You'll also probably should change the bandwidth setting, on the egress interface, to reflect the increased bandwidth too.

Lastly, I cannot say how a 4600 works, but on many other Cisco platforms, shapers, I believe, only account for L3 bandwidth, but providers often provide bandwidth as L2 bandwidth.  If your shaper doesn't account for L2 overhead, I've found using a shaped value about 15% less usually accounts for average L2 overhead.  (NB: insuring the shaper isn't allowing more bandwidth usage than available, is especially important when supporting VoIP.  Also when when using QoS that supports VoIP, you might want to decrease the egress interface tx queue size.)

PS:

BTW, match IP prec 5 will also match IP DSCP EF.

That worked - thanks for your help!  I tried renaming the policy but it wouldn't recognize the rename command that I had found on a CCIE blog.  Do I need to recreate the policy-map with a different name?  Also, thanks for the QoS for VoIP info but I'm going to leave that to someone with more experience to tweak.

Do I need to recreate the policy-map with a different name?

Yup.

Then you can replace the policy on the interface.  After doing that you can remove the no longer needed policy.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card