cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3650 vs 3850

S891
Level 2
Level 2
We are looking to replace our wiring-closet switches. We have choice of going with either 3650 or 3850. 
I am comparing these two 48 ports PoE+ models:
WS-C3850-48F-L
WS-C3650-48FD-L
I am unable to see any big difference in terms of features. Though 3850 provides significantly higher stacking bandwidth  and backplane I do not see other difference. There is not much difference in price either...only 10 - 15%. Why would anyone go with 3650 when a higher performance 3850 is available with little price difference? 

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Some people just see the price difference, regardless it's 5% or 20%, and that is the deciding factor.  

The codes are the same.  By the way, the "D" in the 3650 means the uplink ports are SFP/SFP+ while the 3850 is just SFP uplink only.

To add to Leo's comment, price is always a big factor. 10 to 15% may not be much when you are buying a few switches but if you are purchasing hundreds, it adds up.

HTH

Thank you very much everyone for your valuable feedback. So I feel that both choices are similar in feature except for some differences in price, backplane and uplink options. Both are safe choices and it all depends on budget and requirements. 

The 3850 module comes with optional uplink modules which the customer can decide from 2x10G, 4x10G, 8x10G and 2x40G modules. That is why the -D is missing in the partcode.

lpassmore
Level 1
Level 1

You will also find that the uplinks are not included in the base price of a 3850 and you need to purchase the module that best suits.  The options for the WS-C3850-48F-L model include 2xSFP+ or 4xSFP.  

Mohamed Ramadan
Level 1
Level 1
i need to know if this SFP 455885-001 compatible with this switches C3650-48FD-L and C4506-E can you please help me quick

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
BTW, have you also looked at the new Catalyst 9300s?

no i just need to know computability

I respectfully disagree. Platform is almost identical but price us not. On a small enterprise the 10%(and it is more) might seem irrelevant but on large customer environment scale that 10% will make a huge difference. Not only that. If unnecessary, why to pay even the 5% more? The cat3k are amazing platforms who represent already the past of Cisco. Cat9k is kicking in and Cisco has even more surprises for us to come. Hardware refresh is a periodic task which should never be missed and hence never oversized. 

Hope this helps

Just dont go for the 3850.

IMO its one big terrible bug with 52 ports

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card