Views
Helpful
Replies

Supported Hardware IOS-XR 6.1.2 // Release Note

david.kasper
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

just to be sure : In the release notes under "Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Router Line Cards" the LC´s A9K-24X10GE-SE and A9K-36x10GE-SE seem to be not supported but both linecards are mentioned under

"Hardware Features and Enhancements Introduced in Cisco IOS XR Software Release 6.1.2, Hardware Enhancements for the ASR 9000 Platform"

So, are the following linecards supported by 6.1.2 64Bit ?

• A9K-24X10GE-SE
  • A9K-36x10GE-SE

Thanks,

David

20 Replies 20

Aleksandar Vidakovic
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi David,

the 64-bit flavour of IOS XR supports only Tomahawk line cards. The 32-bit flavour supports Typhoon as well.

To be more precise: 32-bit flavour of 6.x.x IOS XR releases supports Typhoon, Tomahawk, A9K-VSM-500 and A9K-SIP-700 line cards. The last release that supports Trident is 5.3.4.

hope this helps,

/Aleksandar

Ok, what about the future of 32-bit flavored IOS-XR? Is it going to see the same features (except 64-bit/Linux specific features like RPM of course) than 64-bit XR?

I am assuming that 32-bit IOS-XR will be supported for a *very* long time?

32bit and 64bit will have feature parity unless something specific to 64bit.

Yes, 32bit will be definitely will be supported.

Hi, I noticed as supported in x64 IOS XR 6.2.2 release notes this:

A9K-48X10GE-1G-SE

A9K-48X10GE-1G-TR

A9K-24X10GE-1G-SE

A9K-24X10GE-1G-TR

What type of cards are? Is the same card as previous post?

Also, if you try to configure this card in CCW you will receive a warning that you can only use 32 bit ios xr, but in the release notes you will find "Support Initially Provided in IOS XR 64-bit Release", is very confusing.

Can you clarify this?

Thanks in advance, Aliet

Should be tomahawk cards.

According to the datasheet, those cards are supported since 6.2.1 without distinction between 32 and 64 bit.

According to the release notes, the cards are supported starting from XR 6.2.1 and XR 64-bit 6.2.1.

Seems pretty straightforward to me. CCW is probably bogus.

those are the new 24 and 48 port 10/1G cards (aka powerglide). they require XR62 and can run both 32 and 64 bit (since these are Tomahawk based).

because of the new LC and the drivers it requires, xr62 is needed, but it doesnt have to be 64 bit only. it is probably a miss in the ordering tool.

xander

Yes, definitely is a bug in CCW, if you select:

A9K-RSP880-SE

XR-A9K-X64K9-06.2

A9K-24X10GE-1G-SE

You receive a warning:
"A selection of 32 bit IOS XR 6.2.1 PID: XR-A9K-PX-06.02 or XR-A9K-PXK9-06.02 is required when Powerglide line card is selected. Please adjust the selections. (CE200440)"
Best regards, Aliet

I created a support ticket in CCW, here their response:

2)	Troubleshooting and Resolution steps#: 
We have checked configuration for Estimate id# RZ73601512WS and found below product configuration error :

Error: A selection of 32 bit IOS XR 6.2.1 PID: XR-A9K-PX-06.02 or XR-A9K-PXK9-06.02 is required when Powerglide line card is selected. Please adjust the selections. (CE200440)

We have checked with EFDS Team and found If userselects A9K-24X10GE-1G-SE from Card option then he needs to select other software PID: XR-A9K-PX-06.02 or XR-A9K-PXK9-06.02 is required. So please add/ re- enter major item - ASR-9904-DC in new line and add software PID: XR-A9K-PX-06.02 or XR-A9K-PXK9-06.02 to make configuration valid if user want to select card also.

So, at this point this is more confusing, supports says the cards only run on 32bit code.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

hi aliet,

apologies for that! it shouldnt be too hard to order stuff :)

here is the correct answer:

for powerglide, this linecard under discussion: 24 or 48x10/1, you indeed need iosXR 6.2. However XR62 comes in 2 flavors 32 and 64 bit. EITHER option is fine. though I recommend sticking with classic for the moment.

since powerglide is a tomahawk based LC, it CAN run 64bit when you want it.

it seems to suggest that you create the chassis first, then add the rsp to it, then add the sw 6.2 for it and then if you order the LC things should be fine.

if that doesn't work, please do connect me with the people you spoke with so I can help them give better answers or address the tooling issue you are facing.

xander

Hi xthuijs,

Thanks for your help, I created a support case (33318649507 : Incorrect XR 32 bits requirement for Powerglide line cards)

This is the info of the agent:

Miguel Hidalgo

Agent ID: mihidalg

Thanks in advance

hi aliet,

thanks for the info, let me connect with that group and have them beef up the tooling for ease of ordering. meanwhile from my response earlier you know what will work, so we can please the tool for now, but you know what you can run :)

cheers!

xander

Hi, 

we use asr-9910 and the powerglide is not supported in 6.2.3 64-bit(it's not even detected, only red light)

Could you inform us when will the powerglide card be supported in 64-bit?

It should be supported in 6.3.2. Based on the info I have it should be out the end of January.

I hope that Aleksandar can give us precise info about the release date.

Smail correctly pointed out that Powerglide support on eXR comes in 6.3.2. Commit date for 6.3.2 is end of March:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/service-providers-documents/ios-xr-release-strategy-and-deployment-recommendation/ta-p/3165422

We can share the 6.3.2 EFT image for lab validation. Please reach out to your account team for getting hold of a EFT image.

/Aleksandar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: