Helpful
Replies

VTP Transparent mode

dskalish19036
Level 1
Level 1

Hello again

I posted a similar question regarding VTP a week ago

I have 11 switches in a metro fiber network , 2950s. 

I added two switches after copying a similar config from switches on this network, along with their existing vlan information. These switches are talking across the network through the trunk, and I can also manage them all from the command cluster

The Vlan table never updates on just these two switches when a new vlan or change is made on the command cluster switch running in VTP server mode. 

all other switches that do update are in client mode, as are these two switches

My question -in the short term, is it ok practice to leave these two switches in VTP transparent mode, manually configure a vlan number on them, then go back to the command cluster switch and apply the same Vlan number? I would imagine that to be OK, being the trunking passes vlan information.

I'll be upgrading them all at some point soon with 2960s, but I have to keep the network up as it us while bringing the two sites up

On these two switches, I did try switching to transparent mode, then back to client, with no change in configuration revision, or newly added vlans from the command cluster switch in VTP server mode.  These are on the same domain name, with no password

thanks

2 Replies 2

Hello

Yes it will be okay although a administrative burden, you should be fine.

Regards them not updating their vtp database - Do they have the same vtp version,  If so and applicable you could try deleting their vlan.dat file from flash and rebooting the switch.

That would erase all its local vtp database and would set it vtp config back to default, As an extra precaution discount it from production and change only it vtp domain and make sure it revision number is set to 0, it should anyway but always good to be extra careful.

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thank you Paul.  these switches are all on VTP version 2.  it wont be much a burdon to manage these two switches for now alone from the others in the cluster. i will try your suggestion on the least used switch and delete vlan.dat and reboot.  when i tried switching to transparent mode, the revision number resets to zero. when switching back to client mode, it reverts back to its last revision number.  it never changed when managing from the command cluster switch. 

the good news is i am learning so much from this exercise. thanks for your response. 

kind regards

-Dave

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card