Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime Infrastructure 3.1 Syslog Viewer not useful at all

stjepan.vucic1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

with this new version of PI our customer is very angry and has a lot of issues with display of syslog messages.

First of all, the old path where messages were is still there, Monitor / Monitoring Tools / Alarms and Events – Syslogs but the problem is that when I click on it, by default I can see only messages of severity 0-2. And on top of that, I only see the ones from last 5-10 minutes. What is wrong with that?!

I set the filter to show all syslog messages, then I cann see all severities and from much longer timespan. But when I go to some other tab, and then return to this one, again by default I can see only severities 0-2 and only 2-3 messages from last 10 minutes. Filter should only be there so you can search what you want, and not to show you only 1% of data by default... why is this happening?

Then, when you go to Alarms and Events - Syslogs, there is a message

"This page has been deprecated. Please traverse to Monitor / Syslog Viewer for enhanced experience." 

I go to Syslog Viewer page and what do I see... No data to show. This is not enhanced experience, or I don't know how to use it.

The location is set to Unassigned by default, and I can see that there are only first 10 devices marked there. There is absolutely no data either in Live and Historic data. The only data I can see if I manually enter the IP address of a certain network device for which I really know is sending syslog messages, and then I can see those messages. But this is completely wrong and it does not do what it should - to sho ALL syslog messages in the tab that is named syslog viewer... where I can see nothing of syslog messages...

Can someone please help with this? What is wrong here? Even any freeware software can do this piece of work, and this expensive tool cannot? To simply show all syslog messages when I open syslog viewer tab, and then give me the options to filter it the way I want to.

Kind regards,

Stjepan

4 Replies 4

kchen.wnyc
Level 1
Level 1

Monitor / Monitoring Tools / Syslog Viewer -> Historic page, there are two filter funnel icon on the right, click on the top one then pick "All Devices".  I hope that is what you are looking for.  I opened a TAC case and it took Cisco a while to figure out.

I'm just rolling out PI3.1 and I too have a question.  Does the syslog viewer live streaming work for you?

It works for me.  I am running PI version 3.1.6.

I'm currently running 3.1.5.  Historic syslog messages are seen, but the live streaming is dead.   Will upgrade to 3.1.6 and and update.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: