cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Singlewire Informacast Paging Gateway for a L3 switched site with multiple VLANs

edguidry
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are going to install paging gateways.  In the past, I have dealt with environments with a single voice VLAN.  I simply put the gateway on the voice VLAN.  Now I am at an environment that will have sites with multiple voice VLANs.  My question for a Layer 3 switching site, can I get away with one paging gateway and rely on multicast to propagate to all voice VLANs for the site? 

Thanks,

Eddie

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That depends on whether the L3 switches in the site are licensed and configured for multicast routing. If it is, then you can use a single paging gateway. If not then you would need one per layer two broadcast domain (aka VLAN).

Multicast is a significant topic but if you're unfamiliar with it you'll want to configure Any Source Multicast (ASM) with PIM sparse-mode as the routing protocol amongst the layer three routers/switches, a Rendezvous Point (RP) on one of the routers/switches, and IGMP snooping on the layer two portion of the network. You would also need to either manually configure the RP on each layer three switch/router, a Bootstrap Router (BSR) or the older Auto-RP feature for each switch to discover the RP.

The configuration varies by hardware platform but here's a good starting point: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/ip-multicast/9356-48.html

PS- Be mindful of the switch licensing. IP Base is typically restricted to PIM Stub Mode, a Cisco-proprietary variant of PIM that aligns with - and depends on - EIGRP Stub Mode. Essentially it can only be the last hop before the multicast receiver. It cannot be the source or an intermediate hop.

Jonathan, thanks for this.  3850 switches running Universal code. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: