Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS without secondary Chassis

siddu_4465
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

We are building a Cisco 6807 VSS setup in our DC , but however currently I have only one switch and 2nd is yet to get delivered.

Both switches will have 2xSUP-2T modules each.

My question here is, can I build one switch is VSS mode and run it without any secondary chassis and add just add new chassis once I receive it without reloading primary Chassis. Also modules in new chassis will be different than existing chassis , will it create any problem while adding new chassis into VSS.?

Could you also suggest me any recommended IOS for VSS above 15.2(1).

Thanks in advance.

.....Siddu

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Yes you can convert the first chassis as vss and it will work.

When you'll received the second chassis, just configure the vsl link, convert as vss (switch 2) and physically connect the vsl link. It will sync with your first chassis.

Having exactly the same module on each chassis isn't a requirement and it will works. 

Based on Cisco IOS recommendation, the more stable version is 15.1.2 SY9. 

Thanks

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this answered your question 

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Yes you can convert the first chassis as vss and it will work.

When you'll received the second chassis, just configure the vsl link, convert as vss (switch 2) and physically connect the vsl link. It will sync with your first chassis.

Having exactly the same module on each chassis isn't a requirement and it will works. 

Based on Cisco IOS recommendation, the more stable version is 15.1.2 SY9. 

Thanks

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this answered your question 

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Thanks Francesco...

However the module which I have is C6800-48P-SFP and according to Cisco site, this requires 15.2(1) SY or later. So I was looking for any stable IOS in that series. Are there any suggestions.

Ok no version in 15.2 train had been marked as stable/recommended. 

I would read before release notes and if no bugs declared for what I need to implement as feature I would go with the latest one. This is my personal feeling. 

Thanks

Thanks
Francesco

Thanks Franscisco... :) 

I have few more queries could you pls help with that.

We are going to build quad-VSS environment and currently we will build only one switch and add second switch to it later. My queries are 

1) I know that switch-1 sup will become active and switch-2 sup will be in standby mode. But what will be the states of other 2 sup..? will they remain in SSO mode or they will be in Rommon..?

2) And do i need to apply VSS configuration in both SUP engines  of one switch separately or applying configuration once is enough.

Thanks in advance.

... Siddu

Hi

With the sup2t you'll have the SSO mode that means you'll see 1 as active and all others as standby hot. 

I've not done quad sup vss on a catalyst 6880 but on 6500, you'll need to configure the 1st sup and convert into vss. After that plug and boot the 2nd sup. It will discover that the 1 St one is in vss and convert itself as a standby hot sup in chassis.

Thanks

Thanks
Francesco

Can you update if you got the chassis converted and working in VSS. I'm also trying to configure vss in single switch with dual sup eng but i don't see any procedure on Internet. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card