Helpful
Replies

Backup MDS thru USB or...

jrodrigval
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I would like help with a new issue. 

In our data center its gonna be a planned power outage so to be cautious I would like to do a "backup" the both our mds 9513 so I've tried do the thing but thru FTP, TFTP, SFTP, and SCP I don't know why doesn't work (firewall policies probably).

So, because I must be onsite in the data center I thought that maybe I could do it with a USB with this procedure (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5989/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080668c9e.html#wp1155149) and I think that I understand almost all.

How can I copy my startup-config to the usb drive? 

This would do the trick? 

1.- switch1# copy running-config startup-config

2.- switch1# copy startup-config usb1:switch1.config

The problem is how copy the startup-config to a USB drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

Why not copy the running config to specific bootflash file in addition to your startup:

# copy running-config bootflash:sw1-run-config.bak

then

#copy bootflash:sw1-run-config.bak usb1:sw1-run-config.bak

This assumes your USB drive is plugged into USB slot #1, and that you have met the criteria listed below:

USB related info from link:http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5989/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080668c9e.html#wp1155149

About USB Flash Drives

The Supervisor 2 modules on Cisco MDS 9000 Family switches contain two USB flash drive ports called usb1 and usb2. Drives installed in these USB ports can be used for storing software images, logs, and core dumps. USB devices ups to 2GB are supported.

When attempting to use USB ports, the following message may be displayed: Device unavailable . You may need to upgrade the Power Management EPLD for the Supervisor modules, to version OxD or higher, in order to use the USB ports. After upgrading the Power Management EPLD, you must power cycle the Supervisor modules by power cycling the chassis. However, this is disruptive

Formatting USB Flash Drives

USB drives are accessible once the USB drives are formatted on SAN-OS. If the USB flash drive is not already formatted on SAN-OS, issue the #format usb1 or format usb2 CLI commands

You need to have a candid conversation with your firewall team if the firewall implementation is such that it is impacting your disaster recovery plan for your SAN switches, requiring you to manually be onsite to backup your MDS :)

Thanks,

Kirk...

Hi,

Thank you for your help.

Finally I tried to do the backup onsite but when I insert the usb nothing happened and when I launch the command the answer was that the firmware version doesn't support usb.....

Total disaster...